Why Do Auto Interior Dimensions Repeat Dimension Strings Up To 5 Times?

zowie123

Hi,

This would be a great tool if I didn't have to spend all the time deleting repeat dimension strings. 

Under Default settings, Auto Interior Dims I only have Surfaces checked and nothing else.  But still I get strings repeating in some parts of the house up to 5 times?

I deleted all objects and tried several different approaches but still the same thing.  

Just wondering if anyone has unlocked the secret of taming the Auto Dim tool.  

Thank you, Barry

Both those and NKBA dimensions don't work out for me. I end up using annosets- some to control shows and gets dimensioned (i.e.- just wall cabinets and openings,just base..)Then allow those layers to show on an overall plan. At least then I can just drag to get dimensions. A functional auto sure would be nice though.

I think it is usually faster just to manually dimension for the interior.  I just do one point-to-point and then click/drag to subsequent points through a  particular area.  I find this to be faster and better than even bothering with the auto-interior dims.

And, it's easy to over-do dimensions.  I see a lot of drawings with redundant interior dimensions that are already taken care of with exterior ones.

I think it is usually faster just to manually dimension for the interior.  I just do one point-to-point and then click/drag to subsequent points through a  particular area.  I find this to be faster and better than even bothering with the auto-interior dims.

And, it's easy to over-do dimensions.  I see a lot of drawings with redundant interior dimensions that are already taken care of with exterior ones.

I agree. I also generally dimension the exterior too manually. I can save a lot of un-necessary dimension strings and arrange them like I want. Editing auto dims can take a lot of time depending on the plan.    

This came up in one of the "Residential Project" training video series that I was watching today. The trainer demonstrated having to go to "delete objects" and then selecting the automatic dimensions for deletion in the DBX so that you wouldn't get duplicate dimension strings when you regenerated the automatic dimensions. So, if that is how he had to do it, and he is the "expert", I assume that is the only way to prevent the duplicates. If there is another way to do something, he always seems to let you know about it in that particular video series, which seems to be very well thought- out and planned- out.

I'm a newbie, so I am not sure if I understood what you were asking correctly-maybe you already knew about this--but I hope this helps someone.

Phyllis

I also generally dimension the exterior too manually.

Oh my!

I leave auto exterior dimensioning on until the very end. They regenerate automatically any time anything is done that requires a dimension change.

You can set up auto exterior dimensions to give you anything you want, 1st line offset distance from outside walls, line separation, what to locate, etc.

There are NO duplicate dimensions created unless you actually select an auto dimension. Then you will get a duplicate right on top of the one you previously selected.

& that DOESN'T include selecting a wall (or window) & then the associated dimension to move that wall/window.

It's a HUGE time-saver.

Oh my!

I leave auto exterior dimensioning on until the very end. They regenerate automatically any time anything is done that requires a dimension change.

You can set up auto exterior dimensions to give you anything you want, 1st line offset distance from outside walls, line separation, what to locate, etc.

There are NO duplicate dimensions created unless you actually select an auto dimension. Then you will get a duplicate right on top of the one you previously selected.

& that DOESN'T include selecting a wall (or window) & then the associated dimension to move that wall/window.

It's a HUGE time-saver.

You mean "Auto Refresh Dimensions"? You turn that on in the default dialog box? And then when your done you turn it off?

Hi, Thanks guys,

I tried Delete Objects before I wrote in and it still created multiple dim lines on the interior.  It seems like it's a dim over dim sort of non refreshing thing. 

Auto Refresh Dims is only available in the Auto Exterior not interior. I'll try the Auto Refresh on the exterior to see if it helps dup exterior dims. 

Cheers!