California Framing Tie-In

builtright3

It can be approximated with Chief's native framing, but would require more detailed custom modeling using polyline solids and such to replicate completely accurately.  Start by overlapping your roof planes like the attached, build your roof framing and that will get you started.  Getting the roof rafters trimmed properly and the flat ledger boards modeled properly takes some doing.  I usually just start with this and edit my section drawings with CAD and/or Edit Layout.

post-67-0-97937200-1410804307_thumb.jpg

post-67-0-93702000-1410804312_thumb.jpg

Thank you,

I understand what you are saying but didn't know if there was something built into chief to do if automatically.

Robert,

California tie-in is the method of overlaying a new roof over an existing roof for a room addition tie in. I can send a detail if you want to understand it better?

Thank You

I agree with what Bryce has said regarding using Chief tools.  I would add that you can also model structural features like this using other 3D modeling apps and then import the geometry into Chief as a symbol.

I have attached a pic of a project I did a while back that was done using a combination of both Chief and another app.  BTW this model was done using CA X5, but not much has changed regarding the 3D tools.

Edit:  As I understand it, the condition itself is refered to as an overbuild or overbuilt situation.  From what I understand the California part comes from laying a member over the roof sheathing and then framing to that rather than the traditional method of providing blocking under the sheathing.  Therefore, how I have heard it refered to is a California Overbuild.  I don't think there is any real technical definition involved here, just what some folks call it.

post-228-0-71738900-1410805756_thumb.jpg

Edit:  As I understand it, the condition itself is refered to as an overbuild or overbuilt situation.  From what I understand the California part comes from laying a member over the roof sheathing and then framing to that rather than the traditional method of providing blocking under the sheathing.  Therefore, how I have heard it refered to is a California Overbuild.  I don't think there is any real technical definition involved here, just what some folks call it.

Thanks for the clarification. Common enough, even outside of California.

Note on the video.  It is not about making the engineer unhappy.  The requirement for nailing a blocked edge is 3/8 of an inch from the edge at full thickness for the rating to be valid.  An easy fix would be to nail blocking onto the hip and then hold the sheathing back as required.  That way you would not have to bevel the sheathing to what looks like half it's thickness.