PDF Lag, anyone know what part of the computer resources that's using?

zowie123

Hi All,

A few pdfs on a page can sometimes slow things to a crawl.  I've monitored my system and can't really pin down what resources it's dragging on. 

I have an i7-6700 3.4 CPU with a 2080 GPU. 16gig ddr4 ram.   I saw a big change in render speed on larger complex houses with the 2080, but relatively no change with pdf bog. 

The GPUs are stressing with pdf processing, but not at max and memory usage never seems to go above 35%.  i'd upgrade to the i9-9900, but I'm not sure it's where the problem lies. 

Chief can handle more cores than gaming programs, anyone having any luck with AMD 16 core 32 thread Ryzen chips?

Thank you,

Barry

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/2/2019 at 10:04 AM, zowie123 said:

Hi All,

A few pdfs on a page can sometimes slow things to a crawl.  I've monitored my system and can't really pin down what resources it's dragging on. 

I have an i7-6700 3.4 CPU with a 2080 GPU. 16gig ddr4 ram.   I saw a big change in render speed on larger complex houses with the 2080, but relatively no change with pdf bog. 

The GPUs are stressing with pdf processing, but not at max and memory usage never seems to go above 35%.  i'd upgrade to the i9-9900, but I'm not sure it's where the problem lies. 

Chief can handle more cores than gaming programs, anyone having any luck with AMD 16 core 32 thread Ryzen chips?

Thank you,

Barry

I typically take a screen clipping of a PDF if I don't have access to a program to reduce the PDF's size(which i do). Also checking the box for "save in plan" seems to help with slow downs.

Also sometimes its worth it to draw a cad box to where your PDF will be placed and leave importing PDF's to the last step of your CD's

I have a 14 core xeon- CA is best suited to speed of CPU vs number of cores, my laptop often outperforms my desktop- see sig

An additional option that had been given to me in a similar post is use .PNG file type.  I believe that PNG offers a better file size to resolution ratio and it barely slows CA down.  Especially in details from code where I desire a higher resolution instead of converting a PDF to a higher-res jpg which can become a large file quickly.