Extra Area Labels

ACADuser

Can you create a floor or pline around that area & display that label?

....... and feel confident about what you have..... NO.  This has been discussed and it would be a great addition.  

To be specific.....  in my mind.....  I would like to be able to create closed plines which would have a LABEL associated with the pline,  and the info of that pline,  i.e. area.....  be used in multiple locations,  i.e. FLOOR AREA ANALYSIS TEXT BLOCKS.

Yes,  Go to the "Wall" tool.  Select "Room Divider" and draw your new office area.  If you have already named the big area" Office", that name will pop up in the new area.  Open the new area and rename to whatever.

So what is your point?  I think the OP wants to be able to delineate specific areas and to take that FLOOR AREA and put it somewhere.  

If I am wrong,  I apologize.  We must learn to be more specific about the point we are trying to make.

So what is your point?  I think the OP wants to be able to delineate specific areas and to take that FLOOR AREA and put it somewhere.  

If I am wrong,  I apologize.  We must learn to be more specific about the point we are trying to make.

That's exactly what I want to do.

If I use the hidden wall method it will mess up the existing rooms, I think. Unless there is another floor.

.......If I use the hidden wall method it will mess up the existing rooms, I think. Unless there is another floor.

Exactly,  the point is you can not do what you want to do at this point easily.  

Hence,  the request for a LABEL for a closed PLINE that will have a LABEL,  the label should have an AREA associated with it,  and this AREA should be flexible enough that whatever that LABEL/AREA says,  can be used AS A MACRO that can then be used in different applications.

I have spoken about this before,  I have requested this but as of yet,  no one at headquarters has said,  "gee dip sh** hall,  that is a great idea".  

Closed Polylines have a Ruby attribute "area" which can be used in a reference macro.  You will need to have a Text Box with an arrow pointing to the Polyline.- it's really that simple.

Yes,  you need a TEXT BOX with an arrow pointing to the polyline......  however.... when you have multiple boxes on top of each other, this method is not reliable.....  the arrow can very easily get confused as to which POLYLINE it is associated with.

It is very important that we can trust the area of the polyline.  As of now,  I do not trust the area of the pollylines.

Yes,  you need a TEXT BOX with an arrow pointing to the polyline......  however.... when you have multiple boxes on top of each other, this method is not reliable.....  the arrow can very easily get confused as to which POLYLINE it is associated with.

It is very important that we can trust the area of the polyline.  As of now,  I do not trust the area of the pollylines.

Very true.  To use this reliably you can't have an arrow pointing to a location where there are two or more coincident lines.  Sorry about the multi syllables Scott.

The "Living Area" that autogenerates when you create a space is modified or updated when you make changes to usable floor space. Is there a way to shade the area that it is calculating? Then how can we know what the net space or the gross that includes non-heated space, such as a garage? How do we know what the "Living Area" is covering? Yes, it would be nice for an area/volume tool that can be shaded. Archicad calls it the Zone tool.

I use a Rectangular Symbol (just a Flat Box) with a macro displaying the (width x depth)/144 as the Label.  Generally, I have this with a Transparent Fill but you can use any hatch pattern.

The only problem with this is that it has to be a rectangle.  OTOH, it does dynamically update as you stretch it.

• 7 months later...

Closed Polylines have a Ruby attribute "area" which can be used in a reference macro.  You will need to have a Text Box with an arrow pointing to the Polyline.- it's really that simple.

Only simple if you speak Ruby.

With pline selected I created a Macro in a Macro Management window "AreaPline" and added "area/12" but get error .

Where did I go wrong?

post-2435-0-25188600-1428851922_thumb.png

Exactly,  the point is you can not do what you want to do at this point easily.  

Hence,  the request for a LABEL for a closed PLINE that will have a LABEL,  the label should have an AREA associated with it,  and this AREA should be flexible enough that whatever that LABEL/AREA says,  can be used AS A MACRO that can then be used in different applications.

I have spoken about this before,  I have requested this but as of yet,  no one at headquarters has said,  "gee dip sh** hall,  that is a great idea".  

Just use the "clone" method that I mentioned before. Downside is that it will be erased when you exit meaning you will have to re-establish whenever you re-open the program --IOW there is no alternate as Chief's management seems to have closed this discussion down at least on their side -- So much for the wheel theory-    HMMMMM?

The "Living Area" that autogenerates when you create a space is modified or updated when you make changes to usable floor space. Is there a way to shade the area that it is calculating? Then how can we know what the net space or the gross that includes non-heated space, such as a garage? How do we know what the "Living Area" is covering? Yes, it would be nice for an area/volume tool that can be shaded. Archicad calls it the Zone tool.

conditioned and unconditioned attributes are available for rooms within Ruby. So the above is possible in Chief and I have demoed exactly that. However, it's more complicated as you additionally have to consider if you need the total structure or just one floor, And you need to purge out deleted rooms, this makes this somewhat complicated in Chief but still doable.

BTW - Archicad's zone approach is much easier except that you cannot subtract areas only add them, so any area analysis is impossible outside of a programed plugin. Pick your poison?

In my case the living area per floor will include the perimeter walls so the pline method suite me fine.

This allows me to do the garage too which includes the exterior walls but not the partition wall.

This is the way the GC whats it shown.

Too bad it can not be used in a custom table that auto updates.

Working well so far.

Thanks for the help.

Too bad it can not be used in a custom table that auto updates.

OF course it can, Custom tables accept macros -- You just have to use global memory. We've had this capability since X6. But in most cases, if your just doing one plan -- more trouble than it's worth.