Symbols not in the catalogs

MeghanThorne

Hi everyone,

I am pretty new to Chief Architect and the CAD world in general so bear with me. If I can't find a particular symbol or something similar to what I need in the catalogs (bonus, core, manufacturer, etc.), what are some recommendations to either create or find additional symbols?

I've create some symbols using the polyline solids, but I didn't know if there was a less time consuming or easier way.

Thanks!! 

There are quite a few online resources but one of the first places I typically go is to 3D Warehouse

The quality of symbols can be hit and miss though so you have to choose carefully.  There are also a whole host of other online sources for symbols including manufacturer websites, Turbosquid,other 3rd party websites, etc.  You just need to find symbols in a 3D format Chief can import...

• SKP
  • 3DS
  • DAE
  • OBJ
  • DWG
  • DXF
  • STL

There are also a handful of services that model symbols from scratch when necessary...something I do myself.

When you can't find what you want though, I recommend just modify existing symbols or modeling it yourself from scratch.  Once you get a hang of all the tools available in Chief and how to efficiently leverage those capabilities, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how easy it actually can be to model many types of things yourself.  But my typical search order looks something like this...

1. Chief Architect® Core catalog
  2. Chief Architect® Bonus/Manufacturer/User catalogs
  3. 3D Warehouse
  4. Manufacturer websites (depending on the item, sometimes I will go here before 3D Warehouse)
  5. Model myself
  6. Other 3rd parties
  • Upvote 3

• 11 months later...

I know this is an old post but I am trying to import a 3d warehouse file that I downloaded for a floor tile.  I set the .dae file to open in chief which it does but will place one tile.  Do I just have to open it manually and copy the image and spray can it on the floor?  is there a way to import it into the 3d library as a finish?

2 hours ago, rgardner said:

I know this is an old post but I am trying to import a 3d warehouse file that I downloaded for a floor tile.  I set the .dae file to open in chief which it does but will place one tile.  Do I just have to open it manually and copy the image and spray can it on the floor?  is there a way to import it into the 3d library as a finish?

If it is an Image you should be able to save it as a Material to the Library and Apply it normally via the Room DBX.

• 3 months later...