Upper Cabinet Bottoms Recessed

Chloe1Casey

In X5, I was able to have a 2" recessed bottom in all my upper cabinets so that I could install undercounter lights without them showing. I was able to do this using the normal cabinet dialog box without any special tweaks. Now with X10, I don't seem to be able to do this. Worse yet, when I convert my old X5 files to X10 it changes my existing cabinets so that there is no longer a recess and the undercounter light is now embedded in the cabinet. I have included an old raytrace to show you that I am not just imagining this!  ;-)  

Is there any way to get this function back easily without have to build soffits/molding/etc. around the bottom of my cabinets? I would think that newer versions would have MORE functions/options, not less...

KItchen with Cabinets.jpg

7 hours ago, Chloe1Casey said:

Is there any way to get this function back easily without have to build soffits/molding/etc. around the bottom of my cabinets?

Check your default cabinet construction-if set properly to how the cabinet is built you should have that.

5bcb10043e6f2_Recessbottom.thumb.png.334136ea28cc9adcfc0ccaa75efee237.png

1 hour ago, Chloe1Casey said:

MarcMc,

My options are identical to yours in the Box Construction in the default Upper Cabinet dialog box but my cabinet bottom is flat (unlike yours). Where are you getting the option to define the depth of a bottom inset for the cabinet?

Untitled.png

They are NOT identical- you have an inset cabinet but did a quick check and I get recess with that as well.

Post a plan.

Also do your signature- lots of posts how to around. What release number are you using. Call support...

Yes Mark, I know they weren't absolutely identical.  ;-) I tried overlay like yours but it made no difference. My plan is way too big to post.

I tried calling support last week and he said that I would have to create a molding for the bottom to create the look of the recessed bottom. This seemed wrong since I was able to do it before. Your's are recessed so there is obviously some way that you are doing that. I will try calling them again next week.

I am using the latest release.

Can you look at your molding settings? Do you have a molding at the bottom?

I went ahead and created a molding using the CA-001 symbol (1 3/4" tall and 3/4" wide) and put it with a negative 1 3/4" vertical offset and a negative 3/4" horizontal offset from bottom. I then made my bottom separation for my cabinet only 3/4" and that seems to give me what I am looking for - a 2.5" bottom rail with 1 3/4" of it inset on the bottom.

I have to remember to raise my cabinet by the 1 3/4" as well since the program doesn't see the molding as part of the actual cabinet height.

Mark, I don't think that you are getting it the same way since you don't show that "line" on the bottom where my molding and cabinet are connected (see my image).

Untitled.png

I don't usually address the cabinetry views, but was curious about this. Opened a plan and placed a wall cabinet and the default was checked as frameless. I didn't change that and I had a flat bottom. Went back and checked framed in the dbx and got the recess.

• Upvote 1

The molding work-around will give you those extra lines but it should probably not be necessary.

For normal wall cabinets, using face frame construction, we try to align the bottom with the top of the face frame piece which should give you the recess you are looking for.  There are a number of things that might prevent this from happening, such as building a frameless cabinet or how you have modified the cabinet face.  There is something different about your plan that is causing this and I could only make guesses as to what.  The best thing to do is post an example so someone can dig into it further.

If your plan is too big to post, there are a number of things you can do.  First, you can always zip up your plan to make it smaller.  You could also make a copy of your plan and remove the things that don't affect the problem area.  In your case, I would simply copy your wall cabinet into a new blank plan and post that.  BTW, if the copy doesn't have the same problem then that is a good indicator that the problem is somehow related to your cabinet defaults.

If all else fails, then I would recommend contacting tech support again.

• Upvote 1

Interesting!!!  I tried choosing frameless, pressing okay and then going back in choosing framed again, but nothing changed. I then had an idea. I went to the Front/Sides/Back option in the dbx and deleted the bottom separation. I then re-added it and there it was - the recessed bottom!

It must be because these cabinets started out as frameless and when I changed it to framed, the program did not change the bottom separation.

Thanks Jim for the lead!

2 minutes ago, Chloe1Casey said:

It must be because these cabinets started out as frameless and when I changed it to framed, the program did not change the bottom separation.

No it has to be something else. I can start with default frameless cabinet then change it to framed and get the recess. OTOH I can place a default frameless cabinet, change the defaults to framed and it remains frameless, construction is not a dynamic default. Once I change the default any wall cabinet I place is correct.

IT is possible there are issues caused by bringing a file that old forward but without a plan it's hard to say. There is a way to deal with that but tricky to say the least.

• Upvote 1

It gets more interesting. The default separation for the framed in Box Construction is 1.5". The trick only works if you delete the bottom separation in Front/Sides/Back before changing to Frame in Box Construction. The interesting part is if I change the separation from 1.5" to 2.5" (I want a deeper recess) - either by changing the default in the Box Construction option under Framed or the actual separation in the Front/Sides/Back area - the recess disappears!!!

By the way, the reason I like the molding way of doing it better is that it doesn't give you a frame in the back of the recess (against the wall) which is the way I have my cabinets built. The issue with doing that way is that the automatic labeling of the cabinet dimensions will be incorrect.

Cabinet with full backsplash.png

19 minutes ago, solver said:

If you change Separation to anything 2" (greater than 1-15/16") the recess goes away.

20 minutes ago, Chloe1Casey said:

if I change the separation from 1.5" to 2.5" (I want a deeper recess)

Frameless recess works for now.planFrameless recess works for now.planFrameless recess works for now.planHere is a plan of stuff I did a while back for frameless cabinets with recessed bottoms. Have not tried it on inset but expect it could be adapted.

I made the two on the right with deeper recess. The sides don't look nice in vector views, that would require a slightly different approach, bit harder.

Recess bottom.png

Frameless recess works for now.plan

Default framed will have a standard recess so long as the bottom separation is not set to large.

FWIW here is another way to change the height of recess for Inset cabinets, these will look fine in any view. The one on the right will resize heights without a problem, the one on the left has a home made door symbol in the back that will not resize, I have a bunch of these to use for different sizes (when I want the interiors to look correctly)

Inset taller recess.plan

Inset recess.png

1 hour ago, Chloe1Casey said:

Mark, are the inside sides of the cabinet on the left part of the back wall panel?

Made custom door symbols-posted some time ago in the symbols section. Look for the more recent ones which are meant to be inserted into the back of a cabinet (older ones were in place of shelves). Open the symbols to see how the stretch planes are set. You need different ones for different heights and depths, the width will resize though.

back for different insides.png

• Upvote 1