Decorative Roof Structure materials question

ACADuser

This is not a Chief question but a construction method & materials question'

I need to build a decorative roof structure with the least cost but maintain durability.

What materials would you use for the roof structure in the picture? The walls are stucco over frame walls.

Normally I would use wood trusses & wood frame with plywood, vapor barrier, wire lath & stucco.

Top flat surfaces get peel & stick underlayment for more weatherproofing.

The verticle element on the right is 3 feet wide. The horizontal element is 18" thick & 6' deep. 2 additional legs 12" wide & 6' deep.

I was considering a light gauge steel framing as an alternative. Maybe a sheet metal or aluminum covering ILO wood.

CA ROOF ELEMENT.JPG

Alan, there has to be some kind of pitch to those flat portions, right? You're preferred method of 18" deep wood trusses could accomplish this easily. I don't see any substantial benefit to CFS over wood, unless the rest of the project is framed in CFS and the contractor doesn't want to mix materials/systems. I'd consider wood frame, excellent flashing details, and a fully-adhered TPO or gel-coat GRP membrane for the low-slope roof piece.

I was thinking the CFS would not save any money for the GC.

Yes 1/4" per foot away from the street.

The main roof is TPO so yes to the top of the flat.

They may go fiberglass on the balconies. I'm not happy with any balcony over living areas waterproofing systems. I use similar to my attachment for fiberglass.

What do you prefer in those cases?

Fiberglass Versa-Deck Installation Guide.pdf

I hate balconies and decks over living spaces, but it happens all the time. I think finding a competent installer is more important than the system. I don't have any experience using a GRP membrane as a traffic wear layer - around here we typically use PVC membranes.

1 hour ago, rlackore said:

around here we typically use PVC membranes.

Same here Roof Grade Vinyl (60-90mil)  usually  , I have ripped out too much Fiberglass due to building movement or User damage to recommend it as the replacement.  I try to get Clients to add some kind of "Duck Board" , a removable Panel, made from Decking to protect the Vinyl though.

M.

It's hard for me to say only seeing one perspective view, and not seeing the actual depth of that roof feature, but it has the appearance to me of being both functionally and visually redundant.  Personally I'd modify the wall below to extend right up to this feature, as shown in the attached image.  The benefit is that you would have less surface area to make water tight and would require less structural elements to support a water tight surface.

5b75818dd1a33_CAROOFELEMENT.JPG.dc0c1ec223560779f6743ce24b6e6b6d.JPG

48 minutes ago, KervinHomeDesign said:

Personally I'd modify the wall below to extend right up to this feature, as shown in the attached image.

It's a plaza deck! Why would you enclose it? The loss of a primary outdoor living/entertaining space is probably a non-starter for the client. Sure, there are challenges, but enclosing the space isn't the best answer.

1 hour ago, Kbird1 said:

I try to get Clients to add some kind of "Duck Board" , a removable Panel, made from Decking to protect the Vinyl though.

If you go this route make sure you attach a double layer of the PVC to the bottom of the duck board runners to cut down on the damage to the lower covering.

5 hours ago, rlackore said:

It's a plaza deck! Why would you enclose it? The loss of a primary outdoor living/entertaining space is probably a non-starter for the client. Sure, there are challenges, but enclosing the space isn't the best answer.

Ok, maybe the scale of the building was lost on me, but I was guessing maybe 4' between the roof and that upper feature.  I don't see a door going on to it, but maybe a clerestory window or two?  

Edit:  Ok on second look the scale of the building was lost on me.  I was under the impression that the roof over the lower level was at the top of what I now think is a railing wall.  

14 hours ago, ACADuser said:

Here is the work in progress.

4 units takes 30 seconds to download.

Loading is slow! I had to use Edge - the Viewer never seems to work for me in Chrome. Anyway, the elevations in your OP fooled me as much as they fooled Rod - I thought the area beneath the funky projection was a deck, but it's just a roof. I still think the best solution for the funky projection is wood frame, clad in TAFS, with a grey-colored TPO membrane for the top, flashed at the perimeter with a color-matched drip edge. GRP would give you more color choices, but maybe GRP isn't readily available in Florida. That said, looking at the model in 3D, I have to agree that Rod has a point - that funky projection seems like a lot of work for nothing. If it was sheltering a deck area it could be justified, but it's not even shading the roof-top a/c units!  I'm sure there are other considerations, but maybe you could eliminate the horizontal portion, along with the supports, and keep only the main vertical element that serves to break up the side facade. But, I suppose it's a personal choice - I believe form should have some kind of function.