Veranda Roof issue adding on to veranda.

Designer100

I would appreciate any help on this small remodleing of veranda addition. Attached is picture of existing. I am trying to added roof in midde. most of house is 7,3:12  pitch. But they have a  min. of 4:12 pitch. (but the roof they have in there now on paito as you see in pics is less than that!) tying to keep windows.

I cannot get it to work out.

Newell 

Pergola - Aspley Creek Ln.plan

IMG_0550.JPG

IMG_0551.JPG

IMG_0552.JPG

IMG_0557.JPG

• Downvote 1

Newell,

You will have a very hard time roofing that as you want.

If it were mine, I would leave the existing roof as is and use a flat, waterproof, operable roof something like this:

residential-gallery-105.jpg

You get a waterproof roof that you can open on sunny days - particularly suitable in a case such as yours where the verandah is so deep that it will reduce the amount of light reaching the living room doors.

It would probably cost less than changing the existing roof.

It would also be a great feature of the verandah and add some interest. 

http://www.vergolansw.com.au

• Like 1

On 6/7/2018 at 1:38 PM, Designer100 said:

I would appreciate any help on this small remodleing of veranda addition. Attached is picture of existing. I am trying to added roof in midde. most of house is 7,3:12  pitch. But they have a  min. of 4:12 pitch. (but the roof they have in there now on paito as you see in pics is less than that!) tying to keep windows.

I cannot get it to work out.

Newell 

Hi Newell ,

looking at the Photos I don't think your floor plan is 100% accurate , my (rough) guess it the Curved wall radius is about 12'  as there is a straight section either side of the curve both in the existing Verandah and in the upper Window curved wall where there is also a bump out on the left of about 16"  ?

The easiest way is to let CA auto build the House roof without any roof over the existing verandah and then turn off Auto Build and draw your own Roof plane in from the New Verandah Wall (beam) , it looks like 2.5 deg. works if you want to keep the upper windows using your plan foot print , which would mean you'd need Flat granulated Roofing Materials not Shingles on it. playing with the Depth and or height of the new Verandah may get you back to 3 deg. the minimum for most shingles.

Aspley Creek Roof_MHD.plan

Capture.thumb.PNG.f13e1df2fd21235758b0886419d1fbac.PNG

Hi Glenn , I didn't understand the 4:12 pitch comment either ( HOA ,City,Owner?),  but at 4:12 you would lose the Windows , so I just tried what I thought would work, doing a Cross Section through the Verandah / Windows may help too , but an accurate As-Built would be a must , and the Drawings are different from the Photos.

If the Windows were changed out to 12"-16" high versions to still allow light / Air flow 4 :12 will work by the look of it.... see green CAD Line below

Capture3.thumb.PNG.5d11cab060b28116abc5e92a685648f8.PNG

M.

• 2 weeks later...