pappaloo

Dormer over porch

Hi,

I am trying to get a gable dormer over a porch as shown in the attached screenshot. I also have a slight change in pitch as well over the porch.

With the change in pitch, the auto floating dormer doesn't work, so I know I need to manually draw it.

When I try and manually draw the dormer, the exterior walls won't show up above the porch on the 2nd floor. They just disappear right away. It's slightly buggy I feel that I can get them to show up sometimes, but once I attempt to cover it with a roof plane, they will again disappear. If I draw it within the interior structure, I can do it simply as shown in the video online, but that is not what I want.

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/9923/focus-manual-dormers.html?playlist=95

Any tips or tricks? 

dormer over porch.png

Here is a quickly drawn model.

ct1.thumb.jpg.ccd4e713391d592145eda9c76cec3cbb.jpg

This is what I get when I draw it...

I created the building on the first floor, add a porch by creating half wall, then made them invisible.

I then build roof planes by setting a full gable on the left/right walls.

I then created a 2nd story derived from the first (left settings default), ignoring the option to move the roof up as well.

Created a few exterior walls on the 2nd story, then when I manually create a roof plane, the walls disappear. 

What am I doing wrong here?

Thanks.

chief.png

you have to break the roof around the walls you put in so that they show through, in other words your roof is covering your walls

I think Ray is right you need to cut a roof Hole around your 2nd storey Walls ... remember in CA.... Roofs Control Wall Heights....

You can use a roof hole if your walls go to the floor/ceiling below, or mark them Roof Cuts Wall At Bottom and they will sit on top.

These could go in the attic too, just depends what the specifics are.

ct1.thumb.jpg.c5f4d57b78c5b56e0bfaa46dfa9a29e9.jpg

If the dormer goes across the two different pitches, you dont use hole in roof.   Just use break tool on each pitch and pull back the appropriate section.

Why wouldn't you use auto roofs on a house like that and cut your time down by about half?

Auto roofs are perfect for a simple roof like that, and once you have the auto roofs set up properly, if you make any changes to the plan, the roof is rebuilt correctly.

New Image_9.jpg

Got it, thanks. Unfortunately my plan's roof is too complex for auto roofs (for other reasons than this dormer), however drawing this manually now works perfect.

2 hours ago, pappaloo said:

Got it, thanks. Unfortunately my plan's roof is too complex for auto roofs (for other reasons than this dormer),

Are you 100% sure about this?