auto roofs don't build

chief58

I have a plan I want to do auto generated roofs which I don't do to often and the roofs only cover only part of the exterior walls, I have check to be sure that I have roof and ceilings turned on in each room but still nothing, I have ask Chief support and sent in the plan yesterday and haven't heard anything so if someone has sometime can they take a look at this to see what they think it might be

Thank you

reinheimer_roof_plan.zip

Ray,

When I said fly out, I meant leave the office in a hurry.

Yes, the problem is the higher porch ceiling.

I have come across this before.

You have to build some rooms inside the house with the same ceiling heights as the porch.

The foyer  and some narrow rooms with invisible either side of the foyer, the same width as the porch are needed.

The roof then builds auto.

You need to do the cleanup as necessary.

Let me know if you want me to do it on your plan and post it back.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, glennw said:

Yes, the problem is the higher porch ceiling.

I have come across this before.

You have to build some rooms inside the house with the same ceiling heights as the porch.

Wow is that ever crazy.  It even effects other structures built in the same plan file !   Chief is really not handling non default rooms very well.  Is Chief aware of this situation and if so what did they have to say about it because whoever is helping Ray did not seem to have this info?  There is a known issue with framing for rooms bellow default level but now this to watch out for as well !!!!   

Reinheimer Floorplan.JPGReinheimer Roof.jpg

Chopsaw,

You are on the wrong track.

Have a good look at your roof and you will see the porch roof is not correct.

The porch roof needs extra information provided by the internal room it is building over - which makes sort of sense when you think about it.

Have a look at this screen shot and you will see where I have built the invisible walls either side of the foyer. These rooms have to have the higher porch ceiling height so that Chief can build it's baselines at the higher level, back over the foyer.

New Image_8.jpg

video comming
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, glennw said:

Have a look at this screen shot and you will see where I have built the invisible walls either side of the foyer.

I'm like Chopsaw. I now understand what's going on (thank you Glenn) but I probably would have never thought to add the invisible "rooms" where you added them, Glenn. Thank you for your invaluable contribution to this forum and this software.

Here is the video:

This is a special case - a bit more complicated than normal.

If the porch was the same width as the foyer, all that you would need to do is increase the height of the foyer ceiling to match that of the porch - you may then need to build some sort of false ceiling in the foyer or turn of auto roofs and drop the foyer ceiling down, etc.......

But in this case, the porch is wider than the foyer - hence the need to build the 2 high ceiling rooms either side of the foyer.

• Upvote 2