Auto Dimension Offsets

Chopsaw

Is there some setting that I have missed for Dimension Offset when the dimension text no longer fits between the arrows and is automatically offset but not far enough to clear the arrows.  This catches me all the time and is quite annoying.  And yes I would like to maintain the dimension text size.

Dimension offset.jpg

Thanks Glenn,  I usually only have one or two and relocate them manually but have had a few projects recently where there are big long strings of them.   Have also not yet seen the text change size so that would be interesting.  I may just bump this over to suggestions because it never seems to work properly and it is pre-programmed to do something just not the right thing.

Chopsaw,

I am 100% certain it changes with temp dims because I can make it happen.

On second thought, I don't think it happens with normal dims.

It's not hard to change the text size for the whole dim string though - you can do that on a string by string basis.

1 hour ago, glennw said:

On second thought, I don't think it happens with normal dims.

It's not hard to change the text size for the whole dim string though - you can do that on a string by string basis.

Isn't it funny that years ago, you know when we used paper and pencil to prepare condocs (some on here don't know what that is I bet :)) we used to adjust text smaller all the time to fit the allotted space. Now everything has to be so precise and "perfect." Not sure if we have moved forward or entered a world where everything is just too perfect and complicated.

Chop

From where did you take that shot?model space or layout?

Try to make the text style transparent background, and hope that solves your particular issue with arows being obstructed.

I think chief will allow for dynamic adjustmrent of text size plus position of dimension text strings in order to give sound clearancrs for the arrows. Though it varies how they look when zoomed in and out for model space, I think it won't be distructive when you set transparent background for text and keep proportions of text size(height) versus arrow sizes practical as you would like to see it printed on paper.

While on the same page, in addition to your proposed suggestion what about having a way to set different properties(layer) to controll the colour, line weights and styles for dimension and extention lines as we are currently allowed for arrows.

Hello Yusuf,  Screen shot is plan view with Print Preview turned on.  I had thought about transparent text as I use it for site plans but not floor plans but maybe I should reconsider.

I think some of what you are suggesting is already possible with annotation sets but will need to think through some more before I am sure.

Thanks for the ideas.

Yes we can achieve this through anno set by manipulating text colour by unchecking the "by layer" button. But would be cool to have seperate dimension text layer, I may be overlooking this.

Thanks Chop

dim string-1.jpg