New ChiefTalk Forum

Dan_Park

About 3 years ago we detailed a plan to allow users to log into all Chief Architect web resources using the same log in. Today we are rolling out the first site that uses our new OAuth system. This technology allows your digital locker log in to work on this site in a very secure manner.

We will soon be adapting this authentication method for our Online Support Center and other Chief Architect Sites.

What this means to you is that your user information is more secure than ever.

We hope that the new forum and gallery meet with your approval. We will be tweaking the site over the next few weeks to make sure the software is running fast and efficiently. Additionally we will be implementing new backup systems to make sure posts are backed up and restored on a continuous basis.

We are using new cloud technology on all our new sites. This means that should this site get slow we can resize it very quickly to accommodate increases in traffic.

Over the years ChiefTalk has become a huge resource and help to our users. You will notice that this new site does not have any of the old posts. The last thing we want to do is take that away, but we wanted to make sure we only keep the best information from the old site. Many of the posts there are out of date or simply don't apply. With that in mind we will be planning to retire the old ChiefTalk site over the next year.

As you start posting on this new site let's try to bring some of the best information from the old site and update it with your latest experiences. I will talk about that in some upcoming posts.

I hope everyone has a great experience with the new site. It is new,  like any new thing there may be some bumps. Let's work together to find the bumps and make the site something we can all use.

Thanks to all those that have been involved in this project!

let's try to bring some of the best information from the old site and update it with your latest experiences

Dan:

nice Idea and I thought about doing this

but then I realized I am way too lazy and busy to do this

when X6 beta was released I started saving a link to each and every thread

where someone reported that X wasn't working or needed to be added to Chief

I have decided to abandon this effort since it is planned to eliminate the old forum

at some point

no use having links posted on the new forum that will eventually be broken

as for info in old threads I wouldn't even know where to begin to copy them over to the new forum

nice idea - but ....

Lew

About 3 years ago we detailed a plan to allow users to log into all Chief Architect web resources using the same log in. Today we are rolling out the first site that uses our new OAuth system. This technology allows your digital locker log in to work on this site in a very secure manner.

We will soon be adapting this authentication method for our Online Support Center and other Chief Architect Sites.

What this means to you is that your user information is more secure than ever.

We hope that the new forum and gallery meet with your approval. We will be tweaking the site over the next few weeks to make sure the software is running fast and efficiently. Additionally we will be implementing new backup systems to make sure posts are backed up and restored on a continuous basis.

We are using new cloud technology on all our new sites. This means that should this site get slow we can resize it very quickly to accommodate increases in traffic.

Over the years ChiefTalk has become a huge resource and help to our users. You will notice that this new site does not have any of the old posts. The last thing we want to do is take that away, but we wanted to make sure we only keep the best information from the old site. Many of the posts there are out of date or simply don't apply. With that in mind we will be planning to retire the old ChiefTalk site over the next year.

As you start posting on this new site let's try to bring some of the best information from the old site and update it with your latest experiences. I will talk about that in some upcoming posts.

I hope everyone has a great experience with the new site. It is new,  like any new thing there may be some bumps. Let's work together to find the bumps and make the site something we can all use.

Thanks to all those that have been involved in this project!

I think it is a great idea but loosing the archived data is not. I hope you can find some way to keep it in the cloud or someplace. I for one use the search all the time to find old threads. I think you are moving in the right direction. 

I think it is a great idea but loosing the archived data is not. I hope you can find some way to keep it in the cloud or someplace. I for one use the search all the time to find old threads. I think you are moving in the right direction. 

Problem with searching the old forum is that due to advances and general changes in the software, a very large amount of the information out there is outdated and misleading.  I think starting fresh would actually be wise idea.

Lew's suggestion isn't a bad one -- but perhaps due to the accuracy/relevancy issue, limit the releases to 1 or 2 back?  X4 thru X6 have a lot of commonality; prior to that it gets weaker and weaker.

The real issue, in my mind, is the new forum is essentially like starting from scratch.  I had an issue with zooming in an overview, tried searching this forum 6 ways, found nothing.

Went to the old forum, one search, found my answer -- don't check "Zoom using field of view" in Preferences | Render.

Now I've sort of pulled an "old but useful" piece of information into this forum, but it's 1) off thread and 2) more typing than I would rather have done. . . (OK, I'm being lazy, yes).

That said, if some of the relevant old content isn't brought over (and/or at least allow searches to find it here so we can copy/paste??), we'll lose a heck of a lot of wonderful, and sometimes painfully-gained experience.

I also think it would be a terrible waste to not have access to the old threads. Having said that, it some times becomes confusing to read solutions that apply to earlier workflows in earlier versions. An intelligent cut-off date, such as the date of the release of X3 or X4, would be better than just saying a year.

Per the same token, seen from my view as a beginner, I think it would also male a lot of sense to clean up the video index. As it is right now I start at the beginning and then have to check six versions for possible differences in workflow.

PS. The link on the web site goes to the old forum.