Recommended Posts

Is any of CA software considered BIM software and what is it lacking that keeps it from being considered BIM software?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi:

 

Chief has BIM as it has intelligent objects

 

what Chief is lacking is the ability to communicate and share with other BIM apps via inter-operability

 

Sketchup at $695 has this capability but Chief at $2795 doesn't :(

 

I have been requesting FULL BIM for over a decade but CA has indicated they have little interest in going that route

 

Lew

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Between different design programs, there is a gradient of how much information the building elements can reasonably store. At the top end, you have programs like Revit and ArchiCAD (which I use) that can hold vast amounts of information on each element. Chief has been getting better and better at each release at how much data the elements store. The latest release (X10) can store information like U-factors of the envelope (along with quantities), and the Object Information Panel is now customizable with user-defined data, which can be extracted (but not imported) and manipulated. So, I would say it is fairly far along, but not at the top end. Then again, for single-family residential, probably more BIM than most people need or use.

 

While the model lacks interoperability with other programs as 3D entities, you are able to export tables of data that you could use in Excel, for example. HTH.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, ClarkeThrasher said:

Can X10 import a BIM file from a window manufacturer?  Like those found at this link: https://www.jeld-wen.com/en-us/documents?docType=docAll

 

No chief does not do BIM ...the Jeldwen Files are actually for Revit  (.rfa) you would need some kind of Converter at a minimum , say to Sketchup or 3DS or one of the importable file types.

 

M.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately, no.  I believe we could import all of the DWG and PDF files to display as part of your construction docs though.  I don't think that we have a current library of Jeld-Wen door/window objects available either but in theory you could model your own or request one.  There is also the possibility that another user has created one and might be willing to share it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I appreciate your help as it seems that catalogs for builder/new construction vinyl windows that have size and bay window construction details are a thing of the past I think because they will make virtually any size within limits.  I just used an old Anderson catalog to approximate a conventional size and layout.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I made some Jeld-Wen Vinyl windows using Jedl-Wen's dwg files. The idea was to make my own symbols for more accurate display control in plan view as well as 3D. I had problems (probably due to lack of skill) when converting to a symbol to use as a window. In some jurisdictions, they are asking for accurate 3D window flashing and installation details that are project specific. Crazy, but true. This means that the glass need to be spaced correctly, inset correctly, head flashings, sill flashings, flexible flashings and so on all need to be shown. I might give the symbols another shot, although Chief has fixed one of my pet peeves from before: Exterior trim colors on windows used to show part way through to the inside no matter what setting you adjusted. That's taken care of! The picture below shows a cutaway taken from a complete window I made.

832052934_WINDOWFLASHINGBELOWBRICK.thumb.jpg.a7607825aa2b38c387ec2cd8251f037f.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WOW, very nice, robdyck, I'm very impressed!  These addition plans I am working on will be the first time I've been in the building permits office in about 2 years so i am braced for any number of new requirements.  I think showing the flashing details is a good thing.  Not enough and really zero to none inspection attention has been given to the building paper, flashing, waterproofing of structure in my locality, Norfolk, VA in the past. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sometimes it is acceptable to get the symbol to "look good"

 

then in the layout use a callout to point to drawings supplied by the vendor

they can be .jpg or .pdf etc

 

I did this for a Nana-wall store front system for a bar/restaurant in Buffalo

 

Lew 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lbuttery said:

sometimes it is acceptable to get the symbol to "look good"

 

then in the layout use a callout to point to drawings supplied by the vendor

they can be .jpg or .pdf etc

 

I did this for a Nana-wall store front system for a bar/restaurant in Buffalo

 

Lew 

I agree Lew.

Interestingly enough, our building code specifically states that windows shall be installed as per manuf. spec. and I've discussed with officials exactly what you just described. Why redo work that's already done, right?

However, some building officials in some jurisdictions seem set on make work projects. And I happen to be in one of those. There are so many different methods to achieve airtightness and the choice of material and methods can have a trickle down effect to the window install as well as other items. So it's not just windows we're detailing but all junctions that pertain to air barrier systems, weather barrier systems, thermal barrier systems and the builders rely on our code and product knowledge to ensure that the systems coordinate, are code compliant and accommodate their preferred methods.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Being able to copy and paste manufacturer content on plans is one of the cool things that you can do with CA and I have utilized that ability in past.  I've been using CA for a very long time but I'm not a hotshot with it as some are here. I usually just struggle through each plan, catch as catch can, learning new tricks as I need to.  I'm more of a carpenter/general contractor than a designer and one of the things I strive to do is make the model or plans as close as possible to real constructed reality.  So I feel like using a polyline solid to create a shower wall and curb is kind of like cheating, the easy way out, as very few things are actually built that way.  Having to do "work arounds" to trick the program into doing what you need done can be irritating.  Paying $500 a year subscription for a program that really does not improve all that much from year to year is also somewhat irritating.  I just upgraded from X9 to 10 and I haven't noticed anything startlingly new and improved yet...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, ClarkeThrasher said:

Being able to copy and paste manufacturer content on plans is one of the cool things that you can do with CA and I have utilized that ability in past.  I've been using CA for a very long time but I'm not a hotshot with it as some are here. I usually just struggle through each plan, catch as catch can, learning new tricks as I need to.  I'm more of a carpenter/general contractor than a designer and one of the things I strive to do is make the model or plans as close as possible to real constructed reality.  So I feel like using a polyline solid to create a shower wall and curb is kind of like cheating, the easy way out, as very few things are actually built that way.  Having to do "work arounds" to trick the program into doing what you need done can be irritating.  Paying $500 a year subscription for a program that really does not improve all that much from year to year is also somewhat irritating.  I just upgraded from X9 to 10 and I haven't noticed anything startlingly new and improved yet...

I'll use whichever tool Chief has that works the best for me to get real accuracy. If I'm drawing a custom tile shower and I choose to use a p-solid or molding or 3D molding etc, I'll also model in every construction layer, especially if I'm including a detail on the plans. Depending on who I'm drawing for, I find accurate illustrated details are more relevant than CAD details. You probably wouldn't need me to dimension something like a shower but illustrated can be helpful to you or your employees and trades. Example: A builder I work for likes 3 treated 2X4s's glued and screwed for a shower curb. I'll show that, as well as cement board, waterproofing membranes, thinset, tile and tile trims and I'll model it with layer setbacks so each layer is visible and labeled. The illustration above was modeled using Chief and it's typical of how I model (not draw) details.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ClarkeThrasher said:

I just upgraded from X9 to 10 and I haven't noticed anything startlingly new and improved yet...

 

Then try X11 it should be in your Digital Locker under the Upgrade Button assuming your SSA goes past March 30th...

 

1 hour ago, robdyck said:

The illustration above was modeled using Chief and it's typical of how I model (not draw) details.

 

Very nicely done Rob , I'm sure all the trades appreciate it.....

 

M.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just upgraded from X9 to 10 and I haven't noticed anything startlingly new and improved yet...

 

Check out Plansets

 

they are a MAJOR improvement for Chief

 

and X11 introduces the multiple reference layer feature

 

Lew

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, robdyck said:

I'll use whichever tool Chief has that works the best for me to get real accuracy. If I'm drawing a custom tile shower and I choose to use a p-solid or molding or 3D molding etc, I'll also model in every construction layer, especially if I'm including a detail on the plans. Depending on who I'm drawing for, I find accurate illustrated details are more relevant than CAD details. You probably wouldn't need me to dimension something like a shower but illustrated can be helpful to you or your employees and trades. Example: A builder I work for likes 3 treated 2X4s's glued and screwed for a shower curb. I'll show that, as well as cement board, waterproofing membranes, thinset, tile and tile trims and I'll model it with layer setbacks so each layer is visible and labeled. The illustration above was modeled using Chief and it's typical of how I model (not draw) details.

CAN'T TOUCH THAT!!!  I mean, very cool, but I hardly know of what you are speaking.  Your builder is very lucky to have you.

 

I will go ahead to 11X, haven't even put 10 on my laptop yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Member Statistics

    27475
    Total Members
    6254
    Most Online
    slickrick1530
    Newest Member
    slickrick1530
    Joined