pgjacob

Black areas in ray trace

Hi all

I have a HUGE black spot in ray trace.  Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

melissa

black spt.jpg

2 20.1.1.1 Update Notes

2.2 Ray Tracing • Fixed a problem that could cause black squares to appear in ray trace images in some cases.

Seems like that was fixed.  Are you using update 2 20.1.1.1 ?  If so it likely needs to be sent in to tech support again.

This issue is caused by very large models.

Try making your terrain smaller or hiding it as a test.

My guess is that it has something to do with the ray tracer trying to make a calculation based on the origin and the distance becomes too great at some point.

Yes, it is a very large terrain perimeter, multibuilding lot.  I will try out changing terrain.

thanks as always to all

11 minutes ago, pgjacob said:

Yes, it is a very large terrain perimeter, multibuilding lot.  I will try out changing terrain.

thanks as always to all

I'd be happy to throw in Thea for you real quick for fun, wouldn't take any time at all if you export as 3ds and the results will come back looking very sharp

34 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

i'd be happy to throw in Thea for you real quick, wouldn't take any time at all if you export as 3ds

Wow, that would be much appreciated.

Attached is zipped file of 2 3DS files, one with terrain, one without.

This is SUPPOSED to be a 10 acre lot with one storefront building, 4 warehouses and some retention ponds, which I am still working on, the water looks goofy.  Terrain is hilly, this is Austin.  This is the first project I have done with this big of a terrain perimeter...luckily with the experts here I got rid of my floating warehouses and made separate plans for the warehouses, exported them as 3DS files and imported them in to the master plan.  The storefront and roadways/parking lots, terrain perimeter, landscaping (or my attempt at it), ponds and cars are  in the original .pln.  

I think I have to change my signature to include "CA Forum ROCKS"  :)

melissa

CA_Thea_no_terrain.zip

1 hour ago, pgjacob said:

Wow, that would be much appreciated.

Attached is zipped file of 2 3DS files, one with terrain, one without.

This is SUPPOSED to be a 10 acre lot with one storefront building, 4 warehouses and some retention ponds, which I am still working on, the water looks goofy.  Terrain is hilly, this is Austin.  This is the first project I have done with this big of a terrain perimeter...luckily with the experts here I got rid of my floating warehouses and made separate plans for the warehouses, exported them as 3DS files and imported them in to the master plan.  The storefront and roadways/parking lots, terrain perimeter, landscaping (or my attempt at it), ponds and cars are  in the original .pln.  

I think I have to change my signature to include "CA Forum ROCKS"  :)

melissa

CA_Thea_no_terrain.zip

could you zip and attach your materials from that export...specifically looking for the tree's textures

45 minutes ago, pgjacob said:

Not sure how to zip materials..

I found most of what I needed. here is a rendering with alpha mask for backdrop:

5ab57e10bdc8c_terrain1.thumb.png.64419868aac6339ad0f73ed63fc542ea.png5ab57e0e8b648_alphamap.thumb.png.374c3bc57dc1582a7655a1371a85ab5a.png

Let me know what tweaks you would like and I'll adjust and do one more pass

thank you!  So it is some artifact in the ray trace.  I started tinkering with Thea.  Looks like I am going to tinker some more.  Everything looks more realistic, the cars look great.

melissa

NO tweaks.  But here is a backdrop just FYI.  Sincerely appreciate it. 

prop pic3.jpg

2 minutes ago, pgjacob said:

thank you!  So it is some artifact in the ray trace.  I started tinkering with Thea.  Looks like I am going to tinker some more.  Everything looks more realistic, the cars look great.

melissa

you could make it look 100% real with 80 more hours, haha..but that's usually not worth the time spent

Just now, pgjacob said:

NO tweaks.  But here is a backdrop just FYI.  Sincerely appreciate it. 

prop pic3.jpg

Phone just started ringing, you're going to have to slip in the backdrp..I've gotta get back to work!  :) cheers and good luck

Looks like another rendering technique will be needed for large areas, so "Learn Thea Rendering" has now moved up on my TO DO list!

2 hours ago, pgjacob said:

Not sure how to zip materials..

If you need to in the Future , Use Chief's own  Backup Entire File Option on the File Menu, it will zip the .plan up with all the Textures Used in the .plan file.

Not sure if it still helps in CA , but they have always advised starting drawing near 0,0, (Origin) , so I placed and Input Point in my Template Plan so I am always close to  0,0 in the bottom LH corner of my window.

CA Released new Materials and Core Libraries today , if you didn't see the Announcement , run the Update Catalogs command, under the Library Menu.