wnschoen

Monolithic Slab Foundation only in camera view

I am always trying to simplify/template things as much as possible - does anyone know why: " If Monolithic Slab Foundation is checked, the current Floor Structure will be replaced by a single 4” (100 mm) layer of concrete with footings that can be seen in camera views only. "  -  why does not the Program generate the slab as a layer on the Plan View on the Foundation Level?  Am I missing something obvious?  I like how the 'Slab Footing' wall has a camfer option, I just don't understand why if the Monolithic Slab Foundation is generated automatically it can't show up as a regular Layer?

Elevation.jpg

Plan View.jpg

1 hour ago, wnschoen said:

why does not the Program generate the slab as a layer on the Plan View on the Foundation Level?  Am I missing something obvious?

It does and probably.

ct1.thumb.jpg.d02acdac35d5ec020191411deecb4fae.jpg

If something is not showing as you expect, post the plan, and someone might have a look.

Did you check the Layer the MonoSlab in the Garage is On is Displayed in Plan View? it will display on level 0 though as it is considered a Foundation...(see above too) , I assume you built the Foundation of course....

10.thumb.PNG.e0f02ef4627cfa1ba40e129ba65d620a.PNG

Not exactly sure if this helps but Chief will create a phantom slab in elevation views automatically until you actually build one.

That's my point.  Chief creates a 'phantom' slab in the elevation view, but THAT ITEM DOES NOT EXIST in any Plan View.  This quote is from the User Manual:  " If Monolithic Slab Foundation is checked, the current Floor Structure will be replaced by a single 4” (100 mm) layer of concrete with footings that can be seen in camera views only. "  I guess I'll just post this to an idea for future improvement.  I just can't figure out if there is a good reason that the slab does not automatically generate in Plan View.... it is great that it generates in Camera Views, but why not in the Plan View?

The mono slab DOES auto generate in plan view (and camera views)- on the foundation level (Level zero).

On level 1, you need to specify Floor Supplied by the Foundation Room Below.

And/or

On level 0, you need to make sure Room Supplies Floor for the Room Above is checked.

Then auto build the mono slab foundation.

You Must BUILD the Foundation otherwise it is not there , the Monolithic Foundation will replace the "phantom" Slab as per my image above. And once you build it it is on Level 0 not Level 1 along with ALL foundations. Once you name it a Garage the Floor will drop and you'll get the Curb.

If you set Automatic Foundations to On and the default is Monolithic Slab, one should be Built automatically every time you make any Room/House/garage.... ie join 3 or more walls.

If you always use Mono Slabs you can even set it up that way in your Template Plan.

***Beaten to it by Glenn :)

Or, one way to get a mono slab without generating a foundation is to name the room a Slab type.

If you have Monolithic Slab checked in the Slab Room Types default, you will get a room with a mono slab, but no foundation level (level 0) drawn. 

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    JoeLighty
    Newest Member
    JoeLighty

• By GCCISarah
      Hi everyone-

In the last several plans I have created in chief X11, using a Camera View with a Reference Display of the As-Built, I have the As-Built Reference Display file set to render as a Glass House view. The Glass House referenced model displays, but without any of the dark outlines to show the features of the model. I have included an image of a remodel I am working on currently, where the referenced As-Built shows as a faint blue shape. Nothing like the examples Chief gives of a reference display, below.
      Any thoughts on what setting I might be able to change to get the 'outlines' back. I have also included an example image from Chief I found online, which has the desired 'outlines' in black.
      This does ONLY happen when I'm using Glass House View as a *Reference Display* in the plan I'm working on. If I were working on a plan and change the rendering technique to Glass House, the outlines are visible. This only happens in Reference Display.

• By GCCISarah
      Hi everyone-

In the last several plans I have created in chief, using the reference display in a 3D view (referencing an as-built plan overlayed onto the remodel plan) with Glass House View, the Glass House View is very transparent, with no 'outlines' around the items in the drawing.
      It makes it quite hard to see what the existing vs. remodel.
      Any thoughts on what setting I might be able to change to get the 'outlines' back. I'll attach a photo of a kitchen I'm working on currently below, showing how faint the Glass House View is, vs. an example photo from Chief I found online, which has the desired 'outlines' in black.
      This does ONLY happen when I'm using Glass House View as a *Reference Display* on the referenced plan. If I were to delete the reference display plan, and just change the rendering technique of the Plan file I'm working on to Glass House, there is no problem. The 'outlines' show as desired. 

• By DaveCoyleJr
      Hey guys... I've been dancing around an issue that I simply need to tackle once and for all. Whenever I wish to build a simply visual layout, I get the perfect angle and hit "Send to Layout", "update Always" under Live View... This always spits out a box that is centered on my page and at the same size and scale... The issue is I can't figure out for the life of me how to edit this box. It is always unclickable and appears as if chief does not even recognize it. I literally can't even delete it and is usually forced to Ctrl-Z or delete the page and start anew. 

I know there is something small I'm missing here; To circumvent this issue, I simply "send as image" and I'm able to scale and fit; but then I proceed to have a hissy fit when clients want to change small things and I'm forced to go and "reframe" my entire model... PLEASE HELP! I just want to resize the live view to fill my layout page. or at least be able to delete it.

EDIT: I'm on Windows X11 btw

• By GCCISarah
      Hi all,
      All mirrors from the catalog(s) that I am placing show a bright yellow cast and pixels on the reflective surface of the mirror itself. The mirror IS reflecting the room around it, but the bright yellow color and pixelation never resolves itself. The first photo is the 'Standard' camera view rendering technique, where the yellow is at its brightest. The second attachment is 'Physically Based' rendering technique, where the yellow is faded a bit.
      I had no problems in X10, but this issue has been in all of my plans so far using X11.  

Any thoughts? The mirror material is set as a 'Mirror', with 100% reflection. I've not changed any defaults, preferences, or qualities about the mirror material or camera views that I could think would affect the reflective quality. Help appreciated.

• By Aamir77
      Hi,
      Having a problem with a specific room ceiling which doesn't show on camera during the render. on room specification dialog that specific room possesses a ceiling and a roof. Viewing from above the 2nd floor you can judge the problem. Red arrowed and red encircled room have a ceiling and a roof in the room specification dialog but does not show in rendering. As a reference and convenience in understanding the scene, the adjoining room encircled and arrowed with green is a roofless room. What could be the problem? Another thing i would like to clarify is that the red encircled room's ceiling height is lower than other rooms on that particular floor.