Can you create complete construction documents natively with Chief?

tilopa108

11 minutes ago, tilopa108 said:

I'm a contractor looking to learn a modelling software, but my main requirement is the ability to convert my design into construction documents to submit for permit with the county. Does Chief have this capability?

Thanks.

Yes, but only if YOU have the capability.  Don't get into this thinking Chief will produce those documents for you.  It won't.  If you don't have the know how to create those documents yourself, Chief isn't going to do you any good in this regard.  Its kinda like Homeowner Joe buying a new nail gun and thinking its going to give him the ability to build a new house.

On the flipside though, if you already have the know how to create a set of plans on paper, then Chief can serve you well.

• Upvote 2

I'll add to this that there is an element of computer software awareness that needs to be understood.  One achieves this through a mentality that supports the understanding that software only delivers what you are after if you understand the workflow...each software program is different when it comes to workflow.  This takes time, patience and perseverance.  Utilizing this forum and CA's videos is extremely helpful for those starting out.

You really should take the time to watch some videos that layout work.

If you have put in the time and effort needed to build an accurate model of what is to be built in Chief, you should know that nothing comes "automatically."  And neither do the construction drawings.  But just as Chief can quickly produce a 3D model of a house, it can quickly produce the 2D floor plans and inside and outside elevations that are the core of a set of prints for building.

Chief tools will place scale images of plans and elevations on the drawing pages.  There is no redrawing needed.  Dimensions, notes, callouts, and all the rest of the annotations needed are done by you the user, using Chief's excellent tools.

6 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Yes, but only if YOU have the capability.  Don't get into this thinking Chief will produce those documents for you.  It won't.  If you don't have the know how to create those documents yourself, Chief isn't going to do you any good in this regard.  Its kinda like Homeowner Joe buying a new nail gun and thinking its going to give him the ability to build a new house.

On the flipside though, if you already have the know how to create a set of plans on paper, then Chief can serve you well.

Totally agree with Michael- I got started with CA 13+ years back for the same reasons- wanted to create clean efficient construction drawings of my designs.

It took a fair amount of education and dedication to learn the proper layouts- details- notations - etc...

But it was certainly worth while.