Something coming through the roof, I think its a gutter

rispgiu

2 hours ago, rispgiu said:

What was your process? Did you manually draw all planes?

Quite often you can reuse exiting Roof Plane by using the Copy and Paste in Place tool and then dragging the new Plane to another location , then locking the Pitch and using the Fascia height to raise it up and down to get it close , then you can use the Roof Plane Joining Tool to get them perfectly joined back together. If you don't see a Ridge Cap it is usually a good sign the roof doesn't have a perfect join.

You will see in the 1st pic I messed with your Roof as I didn't like the large roof plane slope from the front view personally, so I added a gable wall using mostly the method above eg to copy the garage small roof plane to other places.... and knowing the CAD Tools and how to break a Line ( not a wall ) is useful too.

You can tell if a roof plan has been manually edited by checking the Measurements section of the Roof Plane>General Tab....see Pic 2 below.

Added the plan file too so you can see what I did....

M.

Capture75.JPG

Capture76.JPG

Bella_storia_high_ceiling__MHD.plan

• Upvote 1

Couple of old videos by Dan Baumann on Roofs which maybe worth a viewing for you, since the Roof tools haven't changed alot since then....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ix5Y4OAfQQQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wxd2CsGw9sM&t=8s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qR8vwRQ1L2g

and one by David Michael of DMD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pDre96W2ic

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

Quite often you can reuse exiting Roof Plane by using the Copy and Paste in Place tool and then dragging the new Plane to another location , then locking the Pitch and using the Fascia height to raise it up and down to get it close , then you can use the Roof Plane Joining Tool to get them perfectly joined back together. If you don't see a Ridge Cap it is usually a good sign the roof doesn't have a perfect join.

You will see in the 1st pic I messed with your Roof as I didn't like the large roof plane slope from the front view personally, so I added a gable wall using mostly the method above eg to copy the garage small roof plane to other places.... and knowing the CAD Tools and how to break a Line ( not a wall ) is useful too.

You can tell if a roof plan has been manually edited by checking the Measurements section of the Roof Plane>General Tab....see Pic 2 below.

Added the plan file too so you can see what I did....

M.

Capture75.JPG

Capture76.JPG

Bella_storia_high_ceiling__MHD.plan

Thank you Mick,

All of this information is truly helpful 

1 hour ago, Kbird1 said:

Couple of old videos by Dan Baumann on Roofs which maybe worth a viewing for you, since the Roof tools haven't changed alot since then....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ix5Y4OAfQQQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wxd2CsGw9sM&t=8s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qR8vwRQ1L2g

and one by David Michael of DMD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pDre96W2ic

I'll check those out. Thank you 

First, I prefer K-Bird’s 3-gable front, but would adorn the large upper one with a false hayloft door and the smaller left one with a false louvered vent.  

I don’t like doing windows as adornments.

The garage looke raised because its floor structure is slab and not a thicker wood frame assembly.

3 minutes ago, GeneDavis said:

First, I prefer K-Bird’s 3-gable front, but would adorn the large upper one with a false hayloft door and the smaller left one with a false louvered vent.  

I don’t like doing windows as adornments.

The garage looke raised because its floor structure is slab and not a thicker wood frame assembly.

Thank you Gene, I appreciate your input. 

About the garage, I want to make sure I am understanding you correctly. It is normal? Or is it something wrong with my settings?

55 minutes ago, rispgiu said:

Does the garage seem right? Is it supposed to be lifted ? 

Screen Shot 2017-11-27 at 12.07.40 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-11-27 at 12.10.25 PM.png

Post the plan again Joe , cos it doesn't like like that in my Plan ...did you fix the terrain height?

Did you decide to change the siding?  you haven't opened an old copy of the plan by accident have you?

Capture31.JPG

19 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Post the plan again Joe , cos it doesn't like like that in my Plan ...did you fix the terrain height?

Did you decide to change the siding?  you haven't opened an old copy of the plan by accident have you?

Capture31.JPG

Hello Mick, same home, just different elevations. what I did was copy one piece at a time into a new plan to see where if any setting was off and I noticed the garage. 

Screen Shot 2017-11-27 at 1.30.53 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-11-27 at 1.30.31 PM.png

your 1st pictures above have green lap siding and now just above blue Fiber so I am a bit confused as to what the issue is?

are you referring to the fact the garage foundation is not as deep as the rest of the house ? that is controlled in the Build Floor>Foundation>Garage Options  DBX , your garage settings must be different from the house ?   

***They are I just looked...... 24" vs 37.5" , make them both 37.5" and let it rebuild.  You will lose the foundation at the front entry doing this as it is setup incorrectly , set both rooms to monolithic slab foundation and lower the floors.... one by the door to say -2"  ( porch floor and house floor should not be at the same level due to possible water infiltration issues) and the outer room to -20" and add a few steps  or lower both to -2 and have the steps wrap around the whole thing ....  that would mean a different foundation though at the garage wall.

pic only shows one step but you get the idea.....

Capture32.JPG

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

your 1st pictures above have green lap siding and now just above blue Fiber so I am a bit confused as to what the issue is?

are you referring to the fact the garage foundation is not as deep as the rest of the house ? that is controlled in the Build Floor>Foundation>Garage Options  DBX , your garage settings must be different from the house ?   

They are I just looked 24" vs 37.5" , make them both 37.5" and let it rebuild.  You will lose the foundation at the front entry doing this as it is setup incorrectly , set both rooms to monolithic slab foundation and lower the floors.... one by the door to say -2"  ( porch floor and house floor should not be at the same level due to possible water infiltration issues) and the outer room to -20" and add a few steps  or lower both to -2 and have the steps wrap around the whole thing ....  that would mean a different foundation though at the garage wall.

pic only shows one step but you get the idea.....

Capture32.JPG

Mick sorry for the confusion. Out of the first plan, I created another plan, everything pretty much the same, I had just changed the roof, aside from that all the settings are the same.

With my question, I was referring to the fact that the garage foundation is not as deep as the rest of the house. My foundation was created automatically by Chief. Is there a reason it would create the foundation this way? I’m trying to figure out what I did to cause so that I can prevent it next time.

See my reply above Joe.....

it is because your Template Plan used for New Plans must have the default foundation setup to do the house at 37 1/2" minimum and the Garage at 24" minimum change that in your Template Plan as explained above and all Drawings from now on will have the garage and house at the same level.  This height is usually set at the default Frost-line height where-ever you are , if your jurisdiction has one ? for some that might be 48" and for others there may not be one set by the City/State.

you will need to rebuild the Foundation in any current Plans as Auto-build is Off currently.

Mick.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

See my reply above Joe.....

it is because your Template Plan used for New Plans must have the default foundation setup to do the house at 37 1/2" minimum and the Garage at 24" minimum change that in your Template Plan as explained above and all Drawings from now on will have the garage and house at the same level.  This height is usually set at the default Frost-line height where-ever you are , if your jurisdiction has one ? for some that might be 48" and for others there may not be one set by the City/State.

you will need to rebuild the Foundation in any current Plans as Auto-build is Off currently.

Mick.

Thank you Mick. How do I set both rooms to monolithic slab foundation?

Yes, when you Built the Front entry you made it with two rooms so you will need to adjust both, that in this case can be done in each Room's Specification DBX at the bottom , see the included Pics.

You can either do As i did as an example for you and have a landing by the door and two steps down to the lower area  or make them both the same and configure the stairs differently but you have 26-27" approx between the Front Door height and the Driveway to make up somehow.

here is my plan too so you can look at it...

Bella_Storia_high_ceiling__MHD_2.plan

M.

Capture31.JPG

Capture32.JPG

Capture33.JPG

13 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

Yes, when you Built the Front entry you made it with two rooms so you will need to adjust both, that in this case can be done in each Room's Specification DBX at the bottom , see the included Pics.

You can either do As i did as an exqample for you and have a landing by the door and two stepss down to th elower area  or make them both the same and configure the stairs differently but you have 26-27" approx between the Front Door height and the Driveway to make up somehow.

here is my plan too so you can look at it...

Bella_Storia_high_ceiling__MHD_2.plan

M.

Capture31.JPG

Capture32.JPG

Capture33.JPG

Thank you Mick, this is truly helpful. 

So will this happen to me every time I create a plan? 

I guess it depends on the terrain and city requirements?

If you alter your Template Plan as I mentioned so both measurements are the same , it will be that way in all plans from now on.

If you have all the Default Settings you like / want in this drawing you can turn it into your new Template too , so you have the Settings in all new Drawings.

from the File Menu Simply do a Save As Template>(Template Name) eg: My Template Plan ,  in the CA Templates Folder and it should ask you if you want this plan to be your new Imperial Plans Template > Yes.   then in CA Check (and change if needed..shouldn't be ) the new Plan Preferences Setting is set to the New Template you just created ( My Template.plan in this case) ,  then I would then in the Template plan file delete  the Floors 1 x 1 so essentially the Plan is blank and ready to Start a new House plan on for the next Drawing. All your Defaults are still saved and ready to go , you can even setup you elevation camera etc ready in the Template Plan etc etc .....If you find a setting you want changed permanently , remember to open the NAMED Template file and change it there too , so each plan uses that setting going forward.

Also get in the Habit of as soon as you open a new Plan,  to Save it with a NAME ....if you don't the Autosave feature does not work and if you have a crash or something , you can lose all your work  ( been there done that...) as there will be no Archive Folder made.

These may help too :

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00463/creating-and-using-a-plan-template.html

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00333/restoring-the-default-template-plan.html

M.

5 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

If you alter your Template Plan as I mentioned so both measurements are the same , it will be that way in all plans from now on.

If you have all the Default Settings you like / want in this drawing you can turn it into your new Template too , so you have the Settings in all new Drawings.

from the File Menu Simply do a Save As Template>(Template Name) eg: My Template Plan ,  in the CA Templates Folder and it should ask you if you want this plan to be your new Imperial Plans Template > Yes.   then in CA Check (and change if needed..shouldn't be ) the new Plan Preferences Setting is set to the New Template you just created ( My Template.plan in this case) ,  then I would then in the Template plan file delete  the Floors 1 x 1 so essentially the Plan is blank and ready to Start a new House plan on for the next Drawing. All your Defaults are still saved and ready to go , you can even setup you elevation camera etc ready in the Template Plan etc etc .....If you find a setting you want changed permanently , remember to open the NAMED Template file and change it there too , so each plan uses that setting going forward.

Also get in the Habit of as soon as you open a new Plan,  to Save it with a NAME ....if you don't the Autosave feature does not work and if you have a crash or something , you can lose all your work  ( been there done that...) as there will be no Archive Folder made.

These may help too :

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00463/creating-and-using-a-plan-template.html

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00333/restoring-the-default-template-plan.html

M.

thank you very much

Something I might do if it were my project, and it's the front entry.  I would enlarge the entry slab platform, the one under the stoop, out beyond the stoop walls, and do the stepdowns out under the sky.  The platform top step edge would be concentric to the line of the stoop walls, maybe a foot out.  Steps would be concentric.

3 hours ago, GeneDavis said:

Something I might do if it were my project, and it's the front entry.  I would enlarge the entry slab platform, the one under the stoop, out beyond the stoop walls, and do the stepdowns out under the sky.  The platform top step edge would be concentric to the line of the stoop walls, maybe a foot out.  Steps would be concentric.

I agree,  a nice Wrap- Around Curved Staircase would look good ......

I just took the easy route in the Existing plan to explain what i needed to do above...

4 hours ago, GeneDavis said:

Hello Gene, I had a knee surgery done today and I am not sure if it is the meds but I am not understanding what you are suggesting lol. Could you directly me to any examples, photos, etc.?