Creating Curved Cabinets

expodesigngroup

How can I create curved cabinets?  I carry curved cabinet units with various asymmetrical curves (See Attached): 

I've tried via polyline solids, and piecing together with separate pieces (cabinet box, toe-kick, channel groove, etc), but surely there's a better way.

It would be great if I could create units that can be added to the Library and later adjusted, like the cabinets currently available in the Library.  Not sure if possible.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions!

Dune Island 8.27.17.jpg

That's a tough one- here's what I came up with in between watching putts :)

it-depends on how many variables you have and/or how fussy you want to be about extra lines in vector view (have to be cleaned up in layout)-getting a good plan view and getting a decent counter.

1)- just using bow front cabinets- the counters are difficult and the side of the drawers are also difficult to control.

2) Making a door symbol solves a few of the problems on the side and is easier to have a set back section for the pull area. The plan view is awful.

3-export as DAE, import as Millwork symbol gives a clean plan view and allows some resizing getting into the schedule is another issue.

Curious how you make out.

NOTE that Chief reverses the door symbol once you place it into a cabinet-very annoying, have run into this before and I really don't know how to change it.

screen 011.png

CUrved cabinets.plan

I did a video on this about 7 years ago but I can't find it.

Mark's first suggestion is the way to do it and you WILL NOT have issues with drawers and doors.

use bow front's  either positive or negative bows depending on whether you want the cabinet to bow in or bow out.  The best way to know what the bow depth is and the cabinet length is,  you must get that info from CAD that reflects the shape of cabinet.

You would use the CHORD for the length of cabinet and you would use the distance from the middle of the CHORD to the APEX OF THE ARC for the BOW depth.  It turned out to be a very easy process once I got the hang of it.

i made round islands using this method.  The trick is to get the DATA from the CAD that reflects the shape of the cabinet.

• Upvote 1

I'm assuming the reason the OP asked is the "S" shaped cabinet on the end which is where there can be door/drawer trouble OR if you want it to appear as a single cabinet plan/elevation. Otherwise curved cabinets are cake.

screen 018.png

• Upvote 1