Wagon Wheel Light

RobUSMC

On 8/29/2017 at 2:58 PM, RobUSMC said:

Thanks.  I saw that one but it has 560K faces and really slows the plan down

Its gonna take a lot of faces to make a symbol like that look halfway decent.  I decided to have a go at it this evening to see if I could cut it down any.  Here's my version based on the picture you posted.  All done in Chief.  Its still got a lot of faces, but at around 130K its still less than a quarter of what that one in 3D warehouse has.  I didn't add any lights but a person could do that as well.  I personally don't think it would be worth the time or effort though.  Anyway, here it is for anyone who would like to use it...

59a65db2a13ae_WagonWheel1.thumb.jpg.4d19db51a273440985d6b0e727e0e6c1.jpg59a65db34fc99_WagonWheel2.thumb.jpg.5c6fad1e814e4999c5431b62b2a63ae2.jpg

Wagon Wheel Light.calibz

If anyone finds it helpful enough maybe just consider pasting paypal.me/alaskansons into your web browser and sending a small donation my way if you find it in your heart to do so.  Its all good either way though.  Hopefully it helps some of you out.

P.S.  I could reduce the face count substantially by doing away with those ornate lamp bases (those are around 10k faces each) and/or by switching the chains out for something else (those are around 15K faces each) but I was going for accuracy.  If you would like me to make some changes I could do so for a fee.  Just email me at alaskansons@gmail.com and we can discuss further.

EDIT:  I realized afterward that I could have actually made the bases with as little as 10% of the number of faces so with a little work I could conceivably cut that symbol size down to as little as 50,000 faces or so without any real noticeable difference. 

• Upvote 5

8 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Its gonna take a lot of faces to make a symbol like that look halfway decent.  I decided to have a go at it this evening to see if I could cut it down any.  Here's my version based on the picture you posted.  All done in Chief.  Its still got a lot of faces, but at around 130K its still less than a quarter of what that one in 3D warehouse has.  I didn't add any lights but a person could do that as well.  I personally don't think it would be worth the time or effort though.  Anyway, here it is for anyone who would like to use it...

59a65db2a13ae_WagonWheel1.thumb.jpg.4d19db51a273440985d6b0e727e0e6c1.jpg59a65db34fc99_WagonWheel2.thumb.jpg.5c6fad1e814e4999c5431b62b2a63ae2.jpg

Wagon Wheel Light.calibz

If anyone finds it helpful enough maybe just consider pasting paypal.me/alaskansons into your web browser and sending a small donation my way if you find it in your heart to do so.  Its all good either way though.  Hopefully it helps some of you out.

P.S.  I could reduce the face count substantially by doing away with those ornate lamp bases (those are around 10k faces each) and/or by switching the chains out for something else (those are around 15K faces each) but I was going for accuracy.  If you would like me to make some changes I could do so for a fee.  Just email me at alaskansons@gmail.com and we can discuss further.

Inquiring minds want to know...just how long did it take for you to model this fixture?

i would love a video on how to model the decorative trim at the base of the globes.  Incredible.  

On 8/30/2017 at 7:20 AM, SNestor said:

Inquiring minds want to know...just how long did it take for you to model this fixture?

i would love a video on how to model the decorative trim at the base of the globes.  Incredible.  

To be honest, I'm not sure how long it took but it was definitely a number of hours. I'm sure if I had to do it all over again it would be much quicker, but I had to work though a number of unique challenges on that one that I've never had to deal with before.

Regarding a video:  How about this...

If I receive enough donations to cover even a small portion of of the time I spent modeling the fixture (let's just say 1 hour @ $75) then I'll make a good video going over how to model that base.  FWIW, after about 180 videos and 12,000 and some odd views on my YouTube channel, I believe I can count on one hand the number of users who have voluntarily donated to support my efforts.  You guys know who you are and I am exceedingly thankful.  Anyway, since posting the fixture above I have received a grand total of $8.00 from 1 user.  Actually, I received another $5.00 as well but that was really for another more specific case.  I'll go ahead and include that it in the total though so we're up to $13.00.  We'll see what happens : )

21 hours ago, Rosco2017 said:

@Alaskan_Son Michael, you never cease to amaze me! Thank you for being so selfless and such a valuable member of this forum! 

You're welcome Ross.  I wouldn't say I'm being totally selfless though.  As silly as it sounds, I know there's part of me that does it for the recognition (and maybe the reputation points) and I'm really being dead serious. 

I wish sometimes that more people would (like I know you do) realize the amount of time and effort that some of us put into this stuff.  99% of the users here give us no thanks, no points, no thumbs up, no reciprocal help, no nothing...and just in case any of you are wondering, we're not on Chief's payroll either (at least I'm not).  You guys can really thank the other 1% of the users here that offer any kind of support.  If it weren't for them I may not being helping out here at all. I honestly get a little frustrated at times with the lack of appreciation that the user base in general here seems to display.  I don't know how some of the guys here have stuck around as long as they have.  I mean Scott probably has 10,000 videos and and several million views and I doubt he's seen more than some stinky fish.  I can't help but think we've lost the help of several of the most talented Chief users over the years due to the lack of appreciation and support. 

I just feel sometimes that there are a very small handful of users...Scott, Glenn, Joe, Yusef, Perry, Mark McAnnif, Curt, Chopsticks : ), Eric (Solver)...just to name a few...who are really offering the bulk of value...and the rest are just along for the free ride.  I can't help but think sometimes that everyone has the impression we're all getting reimbursed for our time and efforts somehow.  I can tell you from personal experience though that we're probably not.

Anyway, sorry for the rant.  I would just implore everyone to try and offer a little more support however they can...not just for me but for all the other guys who have increased your knowledge, wisdom, and productivity.  Whether it be a heartfelt thank you, clicking on the little UP arrow (or the little thumbs up), financial support, or whatever.  Just remember that sometimes the smallest tips can sometimes increase your value and productivity substantially.  That's extra money in your pocket, or extra time to do what you love.  Wouldn't hurt to return the favor sometimes.   

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, CharlesVolz said:

Howdy Michael, I appreciate you, your talent and the knowledge I gain from you.

Check your PayPal.

Thanks Charles : )

Looks like I'll be making that video afterall.  I thought I might get around to it this evening but looks like I probably won't be able to gitterdun till tomorrow.  I'll get to it here as soon as I can though. 

• Upvote 1

On Friday, September 01, 2017 at 0:47 AM, Alaskan_Son said:

You're welcome Ross.  I wouldn't say I'm being totally selfless though.  As silly as it sounds, I know there's part of me that does it for the recognition (and maybe the reputation points) and I'm really being dead serious. 

I wish sometimes that more people would (like I know you do) realize the amount of time and effort that some of us put into this stuff.  99% of the users here give us no thanks, no points, no thumbs up, no reciprocal help, no nothing...and just in case any of you are wondering, we're not on Chief's payroll either (at least I'm not).  You guys can really thank the other 1% of the users here that offer any kind of support.  If it weren't for them I may not being helping out here at all. I honestly get a little frustrated at times with the lack of appreciation that the user base in general here seems to display.  I don't know how some of the guys here have stuck around as long as they have.  I mean Scott probably has 10,000 videos and and several million views and I doubt he's seen more than some stinky fish.  I can't help but think we've lost the help of several of the most talented Chief users over the years due to the lack of appreciation and support. 

I just feel sometimes that there are a very small handful of users...Scott, Glenn, Joe, Yusef, Perry, Mark McAnnif, Curt, Chopsticks : ), Eric (Solver)...just to name a few...who are really offering the bulk of value...and the rest are just along for the free ride.  I can't help but think sometimes that everyone has the impression we're all getting reimbursed for our time and efforts somehow.  I can tell you from personal experience though that we're probably not.

Anyway, sorry for the rant.  I would just implore everyone to try and offer a little more support however they can...not just for me but for all the other guys who have increased your knowledge, wisdom, and productivity.  Whether it be a heartfelt thank you, clicking on the little UP arrow (or the little thumbs up), financial support, or whatever.  Just remember that sometimes the smallest tips can sometimes increase your value and productivity substantially.  That's extra money in your pocket, or extra time to do what you love.  Wouldn't hurt to return the favor sometimes.   

Michael

Well said brother. Thanks for being so much honest and helpful person to all in theIs forum.

You are the greatest.

• Upvote 1

On 8/31/2017 at 4:47 PM, Alaskan_Son said:

while I can't speak for anyone else, I am extremely grateful for all that you and so many others do for those like myself on this board. and, honestly, if it weren't for this board, I truly believe that I would be still struggling with much of Chief. I've only been here a few months but try to read each and every post and watch each and every video to gain a better understanding of Chief and what it can do. I'm blown away by the patience and generosity by the dedicated individuals on this board (like those you mentioned) who take time out their busy lives to answer trivial questions from those like myself and only hope that one day that I might have the skills to return the favor given to me. thank you!

On 8/31/2017 at 5:47 PM, Alaskan_Son said:

I wish sometimes that more people would (like I know you do) realize the amount of time and effort that some of us put into this stuff.  

Michael,

This line in your post was really the point of my asking the question about how long it took you to model that wagon wheel.  

I find your generosity to this forum absolutely incredible.    Not only do you know the software inside and out...you produce videos that are clear, precise and very easy to follow.  Every time I see you've posted a video - I make sure to watch...and I'm always amazed.  

No way could I ever model something as complex as that wagon wheel...and I was stunned when I saw you had posted the symbol.  I knew it had to have taken you an incredible amount of time.  When I saw what you had done...my reaction was "why would Michael invest the time to do this?"  Hey...I'm happy/thrilled that you do, don't get me wrong.  However, I think there are a lot of guys on this forum - like me - just happy when we can get a roof on a plan and it looks the way we intended it to look.  

Thanks again for all your time and effort in helping us all get better.  I can't say enough how grateful I am for you, Scott, Joe, Solver...etc.  You all have helped me so much I cannot begin to tell you.  

Donation on it's way...

• 1 month later...