dshall

GLOBAL SYMBOL MAPPING, does anybody understand it?

Recommended Posts

GLOBAL  SYMBOL MAPPING,   does anybody understand it?

 

See CA's explanation below.  I do not get it.

 

5953c064e5dea_ScreenShot2017-06-28at7_42_25AM.thumb.png.70e75713345a77984f25a9076c756045.png

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, dshall said:

GLOBAL  SYMBOL MAPPING,   does anybody understand it?

 

See CA's explanation below.  I do not get it.

 

5953c064e5dea_ScreenShot2017-06-28at7_42_25AM.thumb.png.70e75713345a77984f25a9076c756045.png

 

Well, un, yeah, no, ...sort of...

My take is that say origin is set at absolute 0, 0, with global symbol mapping that is the start point for the texture on every object.

I say sort of since I rarely use it unless there is an odd problem with a texture. Then I check it to see if it helps. Not long ago it solved an odd material problem on a fireplace here on the forum. I say sort of since I have no idea how or why that helped.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, dshall said:

GLOBAL  SYMBOL MAPPING,   does anybody understand it?

 

See CA's explanation below.  I do not get it.

 

5953c064e5dea_ScreenShot2017-06-28at7_42_25AM.thumb.png.70e75713345a77984f25a9076c756045.png

 

Mark is correct, say for instance you want to apply a texture you found on the internet to a tileable wall panel, but their is only a portion of the textures image that you want applied to your panel, so you have to set an offset to center your texture properly on your object...and then you want to save this texture to be used down the road using the same positioning for any object it may be applied to, you could set your parameters and then check global and add to library to be used with the same offsets

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

Mark is correct, say for instance you want to apply a texture you found on the internet to a tileable wall panel, but their is only a portion of the textures image that you want applied to your panel, so you have to set an offset to center your texture properly on your object...and then you want to save this texture to be used down the road using the same positioning for any object it may be applied to, you could set your parameters and then check global and add to library to be used with the same offsets

 

Thanks,  I think that makes sense.  I wonder if anybody has used it that way.

 

I was hoping I could add the same tile to two different objects that are side by side and then offset the tile on one object without effecting the tile location on the second object.  If I wanted to do what I just described,  I think I would need to copy the material and rename,  thus having 2 materials that were exactly alike except the pattern,  texture,  angle could be unique to each object.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dshall said:

 

Thanks,  I think that makes sense.  I wonder if anybody has used it that way.

 

I was hoping I could add the same tile to two different objects that are side by side and then offset the tile on one object without effecting the tile location on the second object.  If I wanted to do what I just described,  I think I would need to copy the material and rename,  thus having 2 materials that were exactly alike except the pattern,  texture,  angle could be unique to each object.

I use that same feature often in my rendering software, and unfortunately chief doesn't have a "make material unique" so that you can build separate coordinate mapping for the same texture. When I was using chief to render I would add all of the wood texture and their corresponding 90 turns to my user catalog for this very reason.

It's interesting to me that the new 3d capabilities of x9 have everyone a buzz about realism in the 3d views...I've been geeking out over this kind of stuff for years, I'm not alone anymore! it's awesome!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MarkMc said:

Not long ago it solved an odd material problem on a fireplace here on the forum. I say sort of since I have no idea how or why that helped.

 

That was my FP symbol.  And it worked awesome.

 

Totally irrelevant comment here, but I just wanted to chime in on that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have used it for many years/versions mainly for realigning glass block and a frame for remodeling purposes and certain tile patterns. Since these are small jobs I have never needed to worry about "Global"  but rather just specific materials on a specific surface.

 

DJP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Member Statistics

    27466
    Total Members
    6254
    Most Online
    VCeffects
    Newest Member
    VCeffects
    Joined