Room type at air gap between party walls

Northriver

I never thought about this before but I recently had to change the ceiling height of the first floor of a multi unit complex and the party walls did not change in height. I had to select the air space between the walls to get them to the correct height. What type of room definition should be specified at the air space between party walls?

Thanks.

I am designing "fee simple" Town Homes. I have 2- 2x4 1 hour fire walls separating the units. The property lines run right down the middle of the 2 party walls so the party walls cannot touch each other and it helps with noise transmission from unit to unit.

So Eric your saying build it as one wall? That would work except the units are offset from each other. Would a room divider down the middle if the airspace and make the walls as no locate work? I realize I created a room when leaving an airspace.

Like I said I fixed the problem but was wondering how to get the party walls to adjust with the room if I ever have to adjust the ceiling height again.

The two options are valid here.

The way you drew it, leaving a space between two walls, if enclosed, they become a room, leave it unspecified and adjust its ceiling heights to match the other rooms.

Wall type definitions as "Solver" showed also works and may be easier to work with. (However you had not mentioned they were offset).

Yes Eric like that except I cannot have a common wall. The 2x6 wall you drew at the jog is the 2x4 parting wall at each unit. These are fee simple units. If these were condos I can do what you have drawn. Its the way the law is written in our state. We shy away from anything that is Condo due to lawsuits.

PS: Thanks for your help.

I have drawn many of these types of buildings but this is the first time I ever changed the ceiling height in this type structure.

Just completed a two unit building offset just like this. Have to use party wall as Eric, has, said and then Exterior wall for offset and run exterior wall of unit a past party wall on one side and exterior wall of unit b past party wall on other side. Makes for pain for dimensioning and things jumping around.

Great week end to all,Ken