PDF Import

jorgearaya

Hello all,

I noticed that the .pdf importing into Layout sheets literally "destroys" the .pdf

I tried importing the energy calculation files and, oh boy, the files changed font, formatting, etc.

The second set of sheets I tried were some standards directly from the code book and sure enough, they came so badly blurry that are of no use.

Anyone else having issues?

The pdf's I'm using go crystal clear into another program, they lose no formatting, etc.

As David noted, Chief seems to like the image format better, within the same plan, I have some image files that came in "acceptable" as .png format.

I have attached the files that have issues in Chief, but, do not in the "other program".

Using the exact same importing procedure.

File, import, import PDF, then placing it on the layout, resizing to fit. (Same on both programs)

Please note at the "preview window" before you place the file, the formatting it's already lost, one can tell right away just before placing the file onto Layout.

217-P010095769A-000-000-0000000-0000-1.pdf

Jorge,

I get the same results as you, but hadn't noticed it because I was using the same "other program." ;) This is pretty bad, and should be sent to support for their review. However, I can tell you how to fix it. Take the CalCerts PDF and print it AGAIN to PDF, using Acrobat or equivalent. This copy will then import into Chief correctly. It's an additional step, and should be unnecessary, but it'll get you there in the meantime. Also, you should be aware that what is displayed as a PDF preview on the layout is pretty bad, but when it's actually printed, including to a PDF version, usually clears up. This isn't related to the first issue, but may be true with your code book issues.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

I am having the same issue.  When I import pages (pdf) from my engineer they look just fine in my layout for about 2-3 seconds then the page "flickers" and then the pdf's look bad.  They are Adobe Acrobat Document (.pdf).  Perry, is that the same as a vector pdf?

I'll try the temp fix from Richard.

Thanks!

Vector is different than png, bmp, Vector will enlarge and still get a crisp view and the others won't. They will just pixelate. Adobe does all of them, so you have to make sure which one you are getting. BTW "pdf" doesn't mean you are getting a vector view.

Mike I have relatives in Prescott--nice town, I may move there some day.