Layout - Current Annotation Sets

Tim-Grindlay

Hi All,

I am just starting using X6,

when I send a view to a layout, I send it from a specific anno set, (and can open layout box and check / set current anno set),

but when I double click the layout box and go back to plan view, it takes me back to the anno set the view was sent from, but just seems to choose random layers,

I am doing something incorrect here ?,  I did a quick forum search,  but have not seen any mention of this,

Thanks for any assistance,

Tim Grindlay

New Zealand

Make sure your layers are set to what you expect to see in the Anno Set. You might actually be selecting random layers that are being applied to your plan view then the anno set takes you back to the sets determined by the anno set. That's pretty confusing but the anno set layers will rule what layers you see, so again check the layers selected in the anno sets and see if those are the ones you're seeing.

This is not a new problem (although your exact description is possibly unique).

From Layout, double click on the layout box to take you back to the plan file has always put the Anno Sets into a funky setting rather than just taking you back to the Anno Set that you sent to Layout. Always check your current Anno Set when jumping to the plan file in this fashion. Once you reset your Anno set all should be well.

X6 works different than X5 did but I have not seen any problems yet.  I suspect that the problem is that some people still don't understand how layer sets, active defaults, and annotation sets all work together.

When you send a view to a layout, the program remembers what layer set and other defaults were active when you sent the view.  It doesn't matter if your active defaults match any of the annotation sets.  It doesn't even matter whether your annotation set is setup to use a specific layer set or not.

When you open a view from layout, the program restores all of the defaults and the layer set to make them currently active.  This may or may not match one of your annotation sets.  The key is that the defaults and layer set will match what you had when you sent the view.

The thing that might be confusing is if you are making a copy of the layer set when you send the view to layout.  When you open the view from layout it will be using the copy and not the original layer set which means it probably doesn't match what your annotation set says.  I don't think this is really a problem but it might be confusing if you don't understand what is going on.  If this is what is happening, then don't make a copy of the layer set when you send the view.

First confirm that the layout view is using the correct layer set. Then select the view layout box & open the spec dbx box; go to "Plan View" & make any corrections to the floor, current anno set & reference flr settings there.

Whenever the layout view is double-clicked to access the plan, Chief opens the plan w/ those view properties active. Chief ignores any "lock" that you may be using between the layer set & the anno set. 

Chief needs to put control of the layer set in this dbx as well,  so we can control everything from one place instead of two places as it is currently.

post-120-0-48151300-1403709533_thumb.png

Alan,

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your question or comment but in X5 whenever you double clicked a layout box it would take you back to the Anno Set you were last working on - NOT the Anno Set you were using when you sent the plan to Layout. You'd always have to remember to change Anno Sets back to stay current.

In X6 if you double click on a Layout box it takes you back to the Anno Set that was in use when you sent the plan view to Layout. Absolutely brilliant new X6 feature and so so painful to go back to X5. Not sure if/how that might help you or the OP but hope it does.

Larry, yes and no. When I send a plan to layout it defaults to "Using Active Defaults" as the anno set. Clicking back to the plan file from Layout brings up the mysterious "Using Active Layersets". If you go in and set the anno set in the layout box it will work correctly but there is that extra step to get it to recognize the anno set of choice. At least this is what I am experiencing.

@Kilgore, I have unique layersets associated with each Anno Set. Therefore, when I sent my site plan it has a layerset called "Site Plan Layerset" and an anno set called "Site Plan Anno". If by copying the layerset you mean allownig cheif to make a new layerset, no.

Just to clarify, in the "Send to Layout" dialog, you should have the "Make Copy of Active Layer Set" box unchecked. 

As long as your view says you are using "Site Plan Layerset" and "Site Plan Anno" when you do the send, then I can't think of why you don't get these when you open up the view from the layout at some later time.  You might want to post a plan or contact tech support because I am not seeing this kind of problem.

I agree with KT. You should not get use active layer set if set up correctly

Agree with KT too. Never seen that behavior here Alan, something is definitely set up differently and something I would change as that extra step you are experiencing can be very distracting and cause problems with Layer Sets in the future.

Maybe that's what the OP is experiencing too?

I was using the profilem template already loaded into Chief,  and had imported my own anno sets into that plan, I have since tried using my own plan template, and some other plan files that I have been working on, 

It seems to work fine now,   thanks for the help.

Tim Grindlay

New Zealand.

When you double-click a layout view, Chief opens the plan in the LAYER SET that is currently displayed in the layout view. The LAYER SET is the controlling factor here, regardless of how you have your anno & layer sets set up. Chief is always gonna open the view in the currently displayed layer set, your anno set may be what you want or it may be "UsIng Active Defaults", depending. It can be very confusing.

Also, anno sets are only controllable from layout in plan views; that feature is not available in sections, elevations, or CAD details.