3d imported Furniture

limitless8

Good Day/Evening all!!

So, I know we all love to use the 3dwarehouse from sketchup and it's great, but sometimes you just can't find what you're looking for, not to mention creating a custom piece of furniture isn't always something you have time for.  

I ran into the following, found a website :

https://3darch.org/3dmodel/contemporary-armchair-01-970 (example model)

https://3darch.org/3dmodel/leather-sofa-cl03-979 (couch i wanted)

I downloaded a couch, imported, well first of all it only had one material, meaning the leather and feet didn't have separate material options, second of all it had like 329,000 faces (I know on the chief website it says the more faces the worse it gets)

My problem is once I imported and assigned a material to it, the couch was so amazing that in plain 3d view it looked like it had gone through ray trace all too well, BUT the system slowed the hell down like no other (I know faces).

So I guess have a few questions,

1) Can I somehow modify these objects to have less faces and so they don't slow down the program to the point of URGHHH GRR?
2) If I can't, does anybody else know of any other great websites that have good furniture databases that are easy to import and good in detail?

The brown couch comes out looking almost the same in 3d view. (couch is 48mb in size)

Thanks for any and all help ahead of time!

BoConcept Carlton armchair_01.jpg

Carlton.obj

853587246f63b92cc222.jpg

I think the couch is the problem and that symbol isn't uploaded. There are some free mesh reducers out there. I used one once on some furniture-have to experiment to find a balance between faces and looks. Don't remember which I used-not loaded on this machine-might have been meshlab.

Thekitchenadobe:

Thank you for your quick response, Marcmc is right, it's the couch that's the problem and I couldn't upload it due to size, if you can be bothered to use the link I provided and download it and see what happens?

Also can you let me know when you imported which parameters did you change in advanced under interior fixture to make it stand right because I had issues having the object and it's box being one in the same etc, thanks!

Marcmc: I'll try looking for the program and IF i find it and make it work I'll let you know!

5 minutes ago, limitless8 said:

Also can you let me know when you imported which parameters did you change in advanced under interior fixture to make it stand right because I had issues having the object and it's box being one in the same etc, thanks!

Once I imported it into the library I opened up the Symbol DBX and rotated the X axis to flip it upright.

Graham

Chopsaw thanks for the link I'll definitely give it a try and let you know what came out of it!

Graham:  I also flipped it, what I wanted to ask if any recommendation on what cloud site to use to give you guys access to the couch and it's file?  because for example as said the object properties say it has one material when in reality it should be split up into frame, legs, main couch cushions etc, and how I could apply each given material?

21 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

limitless,  Have you tried to compress the file by zipping?  If that does not work I use Microsoft OneDrive  https://onedrive.live.com/about/en-ca/ and they still have 5 GB of free storage and file sharing.  There are also many other cloud services available.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!Akh8cPutNBnRzhttViw30jk5Me1t

here is the link for the couch, if anybody can take a look and see what can be done I would be really grateful.  (Forgot I have 105gb of storage with onedrive)

1 hour ago, jcaffee said:

Here you go Limitless, it's still a bit of a beast for CA, but I started to lose geometry going any smaller using MooTools Polygon Cruncher.  I converted to skp out of MooTools, then ran CleanUp in SketchUp 2017.  I did not set texture UVs, so only single color textures will look good.

Leather_Sofa_CL03__3darch.skp

Jcaffee thank you very much! gonna give ita  go and see how it looks, also still haven't had the time to download all those programs to crunch and see how it goes with other furniture pieces.  Thank you again!