Material Shadows in X9 - Help

tchomes

I need some help with settings...  In X8, I started using shadows for exterior elevations.  I am just completing some drawings in X9 Beta and noticed that the materials are now shadowed, making the elevations look cloudy instead of crisp.  Is there a way to turn this off?

I have attached an X8 front elevation that has shadows turned on and you can see the building creates shadows, but the individual stones and brick do not.

In X9, I've attached two pictures, one with shadows and one without.  If you look closely with the one with shadows, you will see each stone has a shadow.  To me, this is too busy and hides the crispness of the elevation view.

I should note, these are all done with the elevation camera in Vector view.

Thank you for your assistance.

Roy

Tracy's Custom Home Design

Farmersville, TX

Pool_House_-_No_Shadows.png

Pool_House_-_Shadows.png

X8-Shadows.png

X9 removed the "Legacy Shadows" option in Preferences and the shadow style is now "soft"  for elevations. I have already complained loudly about this. It is not acceptable to me for construction documents. I have been told that they are working on this, but who knows? You can get a slight improvement by bumping up the hardware edge smoothing.

Just now, DRAWZILLA said:

The only new thing is Ambient occlusion in the Camera defaults. turn that off and see if that's it.

I swear I saw Jenna demonstrating Normal Maps in an X9 preview. Have they not been incorporated into the Beta?

10 minutes ago, rlackore said:

I swear I saw Jenna demonstrating Normal Maps in an X9 preview. Have they not been incorporated into the Beta?

Yes, that is also new to X9, not sure if it's totally set up yet. You definitely need to update your lib's. to get it working though.

Thanks Ryan.  I tried to do a search before posting the topic, but didn't find it discussed.  I'm glad you all are looking into it.  Until then, I will leave shadows off on my elevation views. 

Again, thanks for your hard work on X9.  Lots of other areas that were vastly improved.

• 3 weeks later...