Chief Architect compatibility with GIS

Muhammad_Habib

Chief has a good option of importing (Survey) Elevation data as Points; so we can bind our building work with real ground elevation.

But, is there any option to import, or make material, the related Satellite Imagery upon terrain?

If software didn't has this important option, then please update Chief compatibility with GIS data; to connect house designing with real world ground.

Chief has a good option of importing (Survey) Elevation data as Points; so we can bind our building work with real ground elevation.

But, is there any option to import, or make material, the related Satellite Imagery upon terrain?

If software didn't has this important option, then please update Chief compatibility with GIS data; to connect house designing with real world ground.

I think there is a way....  I believe a CA guru posted a method a while back.  I think the accuracy is a bit limited.....  maybe the CA guru will again post a method to do this.  A great question/request.

Muhammad,

Chief has the ability to apply Satellite Imagery to a Terrain Perimeter and I have had acceptable results doing so.  However there are limitations with the current software and the hardware configuration that is available.  Also if the terrain is too extreme I have not yet figured out the settings to apply the image as a Material.  For example a image file that is slightly under 6MB will overload the memory of my 2GB graphics card and put Chief into a non responsive situation that can even crash the whole computer system if not killed in Task Manager with End Task. 

So if you have a graphics card that you think will match or outperform mine and like to push the limits of the software then it is worth a try.  This is a great way to illustrate a project in an urban area or even a rural area where there will be minimal disturbance to the existing landscape. You can build a model and use some basic terrain features as well as cad and dimensions to create a very informative 3D illustration. 

I am not the Guru that Scott is referring to but would be willing to teach you what I know and would also love to hear from anyone else that has had success with this process.

Chief can import GPS data but what type of GIS data are you looking to work with?

I will wait for anyone who did tests about satellite or aerial imagery upon Terrain Perimeter with exact scale.

What I know yet, the method is; import the relevant land data in points (file>import terrain data). Those points amount and land limit should already be determined by any civil software (like Civil 3D). Then prepare the aerial imagery of that limited land. Then, in CA, make material of that imagery upon that Terrain as Fit.

But, the imagery couldn't show in 3D standard or rendered view, only varying patches of the imagery do show. Every time we go to 3D>Rebuild 3D, those patches change shapes; completely disappointing.

While, as mentioned above, this doesn't related to graphics performance. In very simple imagery and plain terrain, I also get disturbance in material imagery. Yes, may be, some graphics settings will be required.

In this age of geomatics, projects cannot be done until we have existing imagery of that part of land. CA giving very well import of Vector data (points/dxf etc.); but should give us option to import Raster data (such as geotiff imagery) as terrain material.

Imagery doesn't mean Google Satellite only; professionally GIS people use 'rectified' imagery which is quite accurate to work on. Also, UAV aerial imagery, which has pixels resolution in centimeters, being used lot now. I myself use Phantom 3 Pro for Terrain and Imagery.

Imagery doesn't mean Google Satellite only; professionally GIS people use 'rectified' imagery which is quite accurate to work on. Also, UAV aerial imagery, which has pixels resolution in centimeters, being used lot now. I myself use Phantom 3 Pro for Terrain and Imagery.

Does that get you to 1" in elevation difference?

For some site presentations I currently have been copying an image from my county GIS map web site and fudging it to fit scale and location.

If you did not care about topo/elevation date is there a way to import a sat photo at the right scale/location/orientation.

I know my state has some form of downloadable GIS map info....

Maybe this is what the original poster is asking also....

Eric

DRAWZILLA,

By drone imagery we can get 1" elevation difference by using lot of close photos; actually it depends on pixels details of the pictures. For accuracy; it is 'relatively  accurate'; but if we want 'absolute accuracy' we need to have Ground Control Points for the area.

In a house construction, absolute accuracy, therefore absolute coordinates, are not always necessary. Relative accuracy, by arbitrary benchmark/coordinates, is quite enough there.

Eric,

I am not talking about where to get GIS data; talking how to import georeferenced or even un-georeferenced aerial imagery upon Chief Architect's imported (vector) terrain.