X6 Crashing

cjanderson66

I seem to have been having an issue with X6 crashing my system.  It seems to be only happening while I am running a Raytrace but on other occasions just opening an item an modifying it.  Has anyone else had any issues with X6 crashing?

Yes I have the same problem does not crash my system just Chief and it does it a lot- mostly when I am doing an undo or trying to go back but it does it other times as well. Love the upgrade but because of this I am almost sorry I did.

I wish they 'd pay attention to it and update the program.

update to "what"

CA needs to know what is causing the issue before they can fix it

have you been working with tech support ?

have they made any determination ?

if this was a common problem you would be seeing lots of screaming posts

on this forum

it doesn't matter how powerful your PC is if it has a "flaw"

while it maybe CA's problem it most likely isn't

I'm sure this is very frustrating

but it's best to assume it is your issue until proven that it is chief

even if other software runs fine Chief could be putting a demand

on your PC that it can't handle - even if it should be able to handle it

Lew

Any crash is serious and we will work hard to fix the ones we know about.

If we don't know about it, it won't get fixed.

We do a lot of thorough internal testing but sometimes there are factors involved that are hard to reproduce or only reproduce on certain machines because of timing or other reasons.

The undo crash is something that should be fairly easy to get to the bottom of. Please work with our support team to nail down a set of reproducible steps so that we can deal with it.

Crashes are usually easy to fix, if we can reproduce them. However, from time to time we run across cases that are hard to reproduce. Sometimes a particular plan makes it easy to reproduce, sometimes it is a particular order of operations. In some cases there is a bit of randomness to the crash. In any case we do take these seriously and work very hard to fix them as quickly as we can.

Doug ... Thanks for the link to Memtest.  I did try this diagnostic (good exercise).  Memory is fine.

Thought I would try reinstalling X6 to see if anything magical would happen.

Well ... not quite magical, but interesting results.

Before my reinstall, my raytrace experiences were getting progressively worse, to the point where every file I tried to raytrace would fail after the 2nd or 3rd pass (interior or exterior .. didn't matter).

After my reinstall, I tested the same files, and was able to raytrace most of them without incident (I only ran to 10 passes for the test).  One of my files crapped out, not the first time ... but the second time I tried to raytrace it.  I tried a third time, and had no incident.  Except for Outlook, I didn't have any other applications open at the time, so nothing is competing with Chief.  I don't get it.

I have a bad feeling, that after a few days, I will start to see more occurrences of failures again ... but time will tell.

Still have a ticket open with Support ... will send an update if any progress is made.

• 6 months later...