Glass in custom doors appears tinted... sometimes

MikeJG

Go to solution Solved by Gawdzira,

I have four custom doors in this plan that I made at different times.  All of them have glass, but in two of them, it appears tinted.  I'd like them all to be completely clear.

I used the same material (Glass Standard) and all of the settings appear to be the same.

Am I missing something?  I don't think I did anything differently when I imported them.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Glass Door Issue.plan

post-1204-0-11292400-1470142784_thumb.jpg

This has to do with the difference between using the default glass material and the actual material.

I am assuming that Auto Adjust Default Glass Properties is toggled on and left on.

Lets ignore the left door, because it has Glass Grey as it's glass material. 

If you open up each door's dbx and check the glass material, you will notice that there is a difference in the glass material used between the doors that have clear glass and those that have the tinted glass.

The doors with clear glass have the glass material set as "Default Glass: Glass Standard".

The doors with the tinted glass have the glass material set as just "Glass Standard" - note, no "Default Glass".

Select the door and open it's dbx.

Materials panel...#Glass...select it and then Select Material...Material Defaults...select Glass (which is set to Glass Standard).

OK, OK.

You should now have clear glass.

Or, as Alan says, you can select Glass Standard from the library.

However, if you do this, the Auto Adjust Default Glass Properties will have no effect on how the glass displays - the glass will always be clear and Chief won't auto adjust it.

This has to do with the difference between using the default glass material and the actual material.

I am assuming that Auto Adjust Default Glass Properties is toggled on and left on.

Lets ignore the left door, because it has Glass Grey as it's glass material. 

If you open up each door's dbx and check the glass material, you will notice that there is a difference in the glass material used between the doors that have clear glass and those that have the tinted glass.

The doors with clear glass have the glass material set as "Default Glass: Glass Standard".

The doors with the tinted glass have the glass material set as just "Glass Standard" - note, no "Default Glass".

Select the door and open it's dbx.

Materials panel...#Glass...select it and then Select Material...Material Defaults...select Glass (which is set to Glass Standard).

OK, OK.

You should now have clear glass.

Or, as Alan says, you can select Glass Standard from the library.

However, if you do this, the Auto Adjust Default Glass Properties will have no effect on how the glass displays - the glass will always be clear and Chief won't auto adjust it.

Ahh.  I see.  Thank you!

Off topic question, Are these doors found in chief's library? I've been looking for the half door with divided lights and haven't found anything on 3D warehouse that I liked, or in chief. These are awesome. 

Here's a few more (see attached).  These are Thermatru doors that we use a lot around here.

I made most of these years ago using polyline solids and 3D molding polylines.  I've since cleaned them up a bit using sketchup. 

Thermatru Doors.calibz

• Upvote 1