Rendering Techniques Benefits

CBuserIndia

Hello All

I have been using Standard rendering & getting work done.

However I am not sure significance of other rendering techniques :

Vector View
Glass House
Duotone
Technical Illustration
Painting
Watercolour
Line Drawing

Yes, I already gave a try & saw what happens in above options. But what I am not able to understand is - value of these techniques.

When & where do you use all these rendering techniques, what benefits it will give to my clients ?

Please guide

Some of the uses of some techniques are for artistic presentations.  I sometimes use glass house with line drawing when I want to see clean edges and present some color but not try to use specific photo like textures.

Line drawing and technical illustration is for clean edge design without any color as the color sometimes gets in the way of the design.  The customer may focus on the color versus the design.

Standard allows for quick semi-photo like presentations and of course ray traces are for fixed still shots showing the completed photo like look.

They are all tools, just like hammers and are used for different purposes under different circumstances.

Glass house is great for seeing through a structure and identifying issues or seeing how parts of the structure correlate.  How much room is there under the enclosed stairway for example.  There are other ways to in Chief to show clients this information, but a 3D Glass house option still maintains the helpful 3D aspect while offering a see through benefit.

Some of the other render options are helpful during interior walk throughs.  Sometimes the Standard render can be hard to see because of lighting issues.  Duo-Tone or Technical illustration can help define wall and ceiling lines more clearly without distracting shadows etc.

Other render types are just for more artistic presentations.  I have often used them to capture the clients imagination and get them excited about a project.

Like mentioned above there are definitely a number of uses for the various techniques and a person could pretty easily do a full page write up but just briefly...

I use all of them with the exception of Duotone and Painting.  I'm not super good at describing artistic rational but I'll give it a go...

Vector Views result in very sharp, clean lines, and can be used in color when you want to accent the details about the basic form and include a very general sense of color schemes but still remain a bit disconnected from reality.  The "cartoon" like qualities help keep the model from feeling like the real thing and therefore allow a person to focus on whats important during the initial design phase.  In addition vector views are necessary for creating CAD Details or Plot Lines (converting to line work).

Glass House is good for (as "Designsyko" stated above) seeing how the various design elements interact and correlate with each other.  Many people use it for troubleshooting the model.

Technical Illustration is one of my favorites for accenting form without bringing color into the mix.  A person could use vector views with colors turned off for this as well, but I find technical illustration much more realistic, much warmer, and it brings better depth and just has a better overall feel in my opinion. 

Watercolor to me is like the opposite of technical illustration.  I use it (usually with line drawing as Joey mentioned) to accent color while only giving a very general sense as to the details of the overall form.  Used along with line drawing it seems to help a person more freely envision the deign without getting tied up in the details.

Line Drawing is much like watercolor in that you can use it (especially early in the process) to make the design feel more like a rough idea...a sketch...which again, keeps people from getting too tied up in the little details yet it still allows for a relatively good way to accent the form. 

Anyway, that was just brief, but hopefully that helps someone.