Layer sets

capitaldesigns

I'm new to Chief, I'm using X-8.

I've set-up some layer sets and annotation sets for my plans. After setting up several layer sets for different parts of the plans such as floor plans, elevation, framing plans and foundation plan I noticed

there is no reset button. For example when I am working on the floor framing and locating beams and the direction of the floor joists I will turn on the plumbing fixture layer. I do this so I can make

sure I am not placing a beam right under the toilet or shower drain. I will also turn off layers temporarily if that layer is getting in the way at the moment.

I noticed that if I forget to turn on or off those layers when I change to another layer set, those on or off layers will now be saved as apart of that layer set.

I would be very helpful if there was a reset button that would turn on or off the layers, line colors and line types that was originally set-up in that layer set.

Is there a way to have Chief do this?

Thanks,

Mike

I've actually many many times thought that a reset button would be nice.  This would really be a good a good one for the suggestion forum.  In the meantime, consider using one or more of the following...

"Working" layer sets:  Layer sets that are set up specifically for drawing with and not for presentations.

"Trash" layer sets:  Layer sets you copy for temporary use.  You just need to go through and clean them up from time to time. 

All On and All Off Layer Sets:  I think these 2 layer sets may be heavily underappreciated.  They are super easy to fool around with and then reset by simply clicking Select All and then checking (or unchecking) Display.  I use these a lot.  They become even more useful if you get used to quickly manipulating them with the Layer Hider and with the ALDO (Active Layer Display Options).

An extremely minor detail, but just as a side note the one layer that really ever causes any sort of problem for me is the Walls, Main Layer Only layer.  When you check Display to reset your All On layer set  it also turns that layer on...which more often than not you probably want off.

Another nice feature would be to have all of the layers in the layer set that you currently have on show together and at the top of the layer display.

They might me indented a few spaces to further identify them as the layers of the current active layer set.

Thanks,

Mike

Are you sure? I just did that and the layers that move to the top are layers that I do not have in my drawing.

The layers that moved to the top are Images, wall railing, electrical, stairs & ramps, etc. 

I just drew a 20' x 20' building and added roof framing. No windows, doors, stairs, cabinets, plumbing fixtures,

electrical. Just 4 walls and a gable roof. Why are these layers moving to the top of the list?

Thanks,

Mike

Because you have them toggled on to display - makes no difference whether they have entities on them or not.

Now, if you click on the Used column, you will see the layers that have entities on them at the top of the list.