I'm new to Chief, I'm using X-8.

I've set-up some layer sets and annotation sets for my plans. After setting up several layer sets for different parts of the plans such as floor plans, elevation, framing plans and foundation plan I noticed

there is no reset button. For example when I am working on the floor framing and locating beams and the direction of the floor joists I will turn on the plumbing fixture layer. I do this so I can make

sure I am not placing a beam right under the toilet or shower drain. I will also turn off layers temporarily if that layer is getting in the way at the moment.

I noticed that if I forget to turn on or off those layers when I change to another layer set, those on or off layers will now be saved as apart of that layer set.

I would be very helpful if there was a reset button that would turn on or off the layers, line colors and line types that was originally set-up in that layer set.

Is there a way to have Chief do this?

Thanks,

Mike

I've actually many many times thought that a reset button would be nice.  This would really be a good a good one for the suggestion forum.  In the meantime, consider using one or more of the following...

"Working" layer sets:  Layer sets that are set up specifically for drawing with and not for presentations.

"Trash" layer sets:  Layer sets you copy for temporary use.  You just need to go through and clean them up from time to time. 

All On and All Off Layer Sets:  I think these 2 layer sets may be heavily underappreciated.  They are super easy to fool around with and then reset by simply clicking Select All and then checking (or unchecking) Display.  I use these a lot.  They become even more useful if you get used to quickly manipulating them with the Layer Hider and with the ALDO (Active Layer Display Options).

An extremely minor detail, but just as a side note the one layer that really ever causes any sort of problem for me is the Walls, Main Layer Only layer.  When you check Display to reset your All On layer set  it also turns that layer on...which more often than not you probably want off.

Another nice feature would be to have all of the layers in the layer set that you currently have on show together and at the top of the layer display.

They might me indented a few spaces to further identify them as the layers of the current active layer set.

Thanks,

Mike

If you hit the red circle all displayed layers will move to the top of the ALDO.

post-170-0-44374100-1467171813_thumb.jpg

Are you sure? I just did that and the layers that move to the top are layers that I do not have in my drawing.

The layers that moved to the top are Images, wall railing, electrical, stairs & ramps, etc. 

I just drew a 20' x 20' building and added roof framing. No windows, doors, stairs, cabinets, plumbing fixtures,

electrical. Just 4 walls and a gable roof. Why are these layers moving to the top of the list?

Thanks,

Mike

Because you have them toggled on to display - makes no difference whether they have entities on them or not.

Now, if you click on the Used column, you will see the layers that have entities on them at the top of the list.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    DesignerPro2020
    Newest Member
    DesignerPro2020

• By LeeDrafter
      Hello,
      I am having an issue with layer sets for elevation views not showing correctly on layout. I am trying to accomplish a one page layout with live (color) views of different versions on one elevation. I want four versions of the same elevation on one page.

I made layers for window shutters and corbels. For the default elevation layer set "section view set" I turned on shutters. Then I made a new layer set, a copy of "section view set" but renamed it "Elev B-Corbels" and turned off the shutters and turned corbels on. I sent two elevations to layout, one from each layer set. 

Then I saved the same plan as a new name to change the gable siding to shakes. (I don't think this can be done just by using layers, but if so please let me know). I made a new layer set called "Elev C-shakes" just for clarity even though a new layer is not needed because it is a totally new file. I turned off corbels and shutters and changed the gable siding to shakes.

I saved a new plan for the stone option similar to what I did for the shakes option.

The layout views don't seem to be keeping there association. For example, when I work on the original file on the "Elev B-corbels" layer, it changes the layout view for the "section view set" layer. And when I work on the separate files for the stone, it updates all the layout views as if they were all linked to that file.

Another problem is even if the layout looks good on Chief, when I print to pdf, it has different layout views. 

Is this a problem with having multiple files sent to the same layout? They are all saved in the same folder. Or is it a problem with making new layer sets for elevation views or using live views instead of plot line views?

Thanks for your help.

layout.zip
      original plan, 2 elevation layer sets.zip
      shakes plan.zip
      stone plan.zip

what prints.pdf
    • By JanHalter
      Hi there!  I have been searching for a bit, and attempted a few things to no avail.  Anyone have a step by step tutorial (or is it just not possible?) on how to at the very least import an existing title block from Revit or CAD to Chief?  I am far from proficient in Chief at this point and wondering if it's possible.   We want to make sure the title block matches our Revit sheets exactly...in case we have to draw something in one program vs. another in the same CD set.

I tried exporting to .dwf from Revit and importing into the layout page, however it doesn't allow me to import that file type into the main layout page.

Also, am I blind? I can't figure out where to put my signature...so I just typed info below.

Janea
      Rafter P Construction
      Cheif ArchitectX10
    • By 152431
      Another question here:

Am I able to change the layer sets on just the layout pages or do I have to send a bunch of different renderings of the same plan with different layer settings?  
    • By AE_Drafting
      I would like to find out if there is a way to have a different label for windows and doors based on different layer sets. I would like to use my window schedule (with labels) for my main floor plan layer set, but would like it if the headers were just auto-labeled on my wall framing plan with the header sizes. I can create a custom label that updates the header size per the window or door ((2) 2x%header_depth% Header), which I just put into my default window and door labels. However, I can only get one or the other to show up in both layer sets as I have to edit the object to tell it which label to display. 
    • By Joe_Carrick
      We can specify the Text Styles for Text, Dimensions, Markers & Callouts in the Annosets / Active Defaults.
      Then in the Layer Set we can set each Layer to "Default Text Style".  The Layers will use whatever is specified in Active Defaults.  This works well in terms of using the correct text style.

However, when a Text Object is examined the attribute layer_text_style simply returns "Default Text Style" rather than the name of the Text Style.  I name my Text Styles with a size and scale as follows:
      1/8" Arial - 1/8" Scale 1/8" Arial - 1/4" Scale etc.  
      There are some layers (specifically LABEL layers) that the Text Style may need to be different.  Currently those need to be specified in the Layer Set since there are no settings available in the Annosets for Labels.

I would like to be able to:
      Set a "Label Default Text Style" that could be used in the Layer Sets Be able to examine the Text Object attribute layer_text_style and get the underlying name vs "Default Text Style" or "Label Default Text Style".  IOW: 1/8" Arial - 1/8" Scale as set in Active Defaults Have access in user Text Macros to the "Active Default Values"