How to: Create a plot plan

mrrozhall

I think that was the reason I ruled out the cad detail method.  I use ref sets for my site plans.....  at the very least I want to show my roof eaves.

Not necessarily advocating it, but a person could always just overlap 2 plan views for this

I think that was the reason I ruled out the cad detail method.  I use ref sets for my site plans.....  at the very least I want to show my roof eaves.

Too easy on a single story, just turn on roof planes. Two stories you can stack CAD floor plans to show all roofs but it's not as flexible as true ref sets. Definite down side to CAD detail plot plans.

Not necessarily advocating it, but a person could always just overlap 2 plan views for this

Then my question is,  why use the cad detail method in lieu of the layer method?

I stated the advantage of the layer method,  the use of ref sets,  

but what is the advantage of the cad detail method?

Then my question is,  why use the cad detail method in lieu of the layer method?

I stated the advantage of the layer method,  the use of ref sets,  

but what is the advantage of the cad detail method?

The thing I like about the CAD method is the ability to move the foot print in relation to the Setback and PL CAD lines instead of moving the setback and PL CAD lines in relation to the floor plan. I find the latter a bit awkward.

The thing I like about the CAD method is the ability to move the foot print in relation to the Setback and PL CAD lines instead of moving the setback and PL CAD lines in relation for the floor plan. I find the latter a bit awkward.

This is a great point.  

However Since we do remodels,  we are always shuffling the house location in relation to the site.

To make this easier for me,  I have an anno/layer set that locks the house and unlocks the site,  so once activated,  I select all  (the property lines and the public roads)  and move that stuff in relationship to the house.  And if I need to,   I CAN ROTATE THE  P.L. AND THE STREETS.

Taking the opposite approach  (moving the house instead of the p.l.)  works well also,  but if the house needs to be rotated in relation to p.l.,  we are S.O.L.

No system is perfect,  we must pick our poison.

This is a great point.  

However Since we do remodels,  we are always shuffling the house location in relation to the site.

To make this easier for me,  I have an anno/layer set that locks the house and unlocks the site,  so once activated,  I select all  (the property lines and the public roads)  and move that stuff in relationship to the house.  And if I need to,   I CAN ROTATE THE  P.L. AND THE STREETS.

Taking the opposite approach  (moving the house instead of the p.l.)  works well also,  but if the house needs to be rotated in relation to p.l.,  we are S.O.L.

No system is perfect,  we must pick our poison.

Nuts,  that might be your point,  you can rotate the p.l. much easier....  my bad......  yes,  a definite advantage of the cad detail method vs the layer method.

All,

I have been able to accomplish my goal.  I used a combination of your thoughts, ideas, videos, guidance.  Thank you all very very much.  In the end, I simply made a plan footprint and used CAD points, lines, arcs to create the plot plan around the house footprint.  Works perfectly.

Thanks again

Roz

All,

I have been able to accomplish my goal.  I used a combination of your thoughts, ideas, videos, guidance.  Thank you all very very much.  In the end, I simply made a plan footprint and used CAD points, lines, arcs to create the plot plan around the house footprint.  Works perfectly.

Thanks again

Roz

Nice

• 4 months later...