Change Floor/Reference Setting

buzzsaw204

hi,

is there a way  to change the pre-set label of the "Current Floor:" name (Foundation, 1st, Attic..) to make it your own name?  Like.....Basement, Main Floor Plan, Attic Plan.

because every time i send this view to Layout, i wouldn't have to rename the view.

thanks,

Vs.

post-1340-0-88598400-1399743517_thumb.png

post-1340-0-49517900-1399743689_thumb.png

post-1340-0-27481900-1399743727_thumb.png

I just put the name on the Plan View (Large Text Underlined) That gets sent to Layout along with the rest of the Plan and the name is on the appropriate layer. IOW, the 1st Floor has several names:

Architectural Plan Room Label Layer - FIRST FLOOR PLAN
Framing Plan Room Label Layer - FIRST FLOOR FRAMING PLAN
Electrical Plan Room Label Layer - FIRST FLOOR ELECTRICAL PLAN
Plumbing Plan Room Label Layer - FIRST FLOOR PLUMBING PLAN
etc.

For the Layout Box Label I use %Box Scale%

IOW, It's a matter of thinking Inside the Box.  Put the Plan Name inside the Layout Box.  The View Name is outside the box and I use it to indicate the scale.

;) ;) B)

Are we talking about the Sheet Label or the View Label or the Layout Box Label?

I thought the question was about the View itself, not the Sheet?

IOW, %view.name% is I think what the OP was asking about.

Chief automatically assigns the Floor Names and doesn't allow us to change those, IOW,

Foundation

1st Floor

2nd Floor

3rd Floor

Attic

OTOH, Camera, CAD Details and Wall Details can be renamed in the Project Browser

The macro %view.name% displays whatever name is shown in the Project Browser.

The other macros that can be used are:

%layout.label%
%layout.title%
%layout.description%
%layout.comments%

which are all defined in the layout page definitions - they are not specific to the view being sent to layout.

Are we talking about the Sheet LaBel or the View Label or the Layout Box Label?

I don't use VIEW LABEL,   I use LAYOUT BOX LABEL,  and I use SHEET LABEL.  I do not know how you use those labels,  I know how I use them and I am not sure I can simplify it anymore than it is.  Sometimes the SHEET LABEL and the LAYOUT BOX label will need to be edited because of the system I use.  I suppose there may be a method whereby I would not need to edit them,  but I would be giving something up.  

I just did the  SAM VS TEMPLATE video that illustrates how I use the two particular labels. 

I do not want to explain why I think they occasionally they need to be edited,  I live with it,  no big deal,  if someone has figured out a way to never edit the LAYOUT BOX LABELS and the SHEET LABELS,  all the more power to them.  (it has to do with the number of floors that are in the plan).

Here's how I see it - and how I use it:

For every view I have a Text Box that is formatted (Font, Size, Attributes) for the View Name.  This is a part of what I send to Layout.

a.  For Floor Plans I have a Text Box for each discipline on that disciplines Layer. Each of those I enter with the name I want displayed as per Post #3.

b.  For all other views (Elevations, Sections, Wall Details & CAD Details) I edit the names in the Project Browser and use %view.name% in the view before I send it to layout.

c.  I use the Layout Box Label to display %My Box Scale% which I position below the View Name.

Note that all these View Titles are done in the Plan or Camera or Detail and are simply a part of what's sent to Layout.  I have no other Text in my Layout except what's in the Title Block.  Since everything is created in the Plan(s) at the same scale that I intend to send it to layout, I am assured that all text will be at the correct size according to the Annoset in use.

• Upvote 1

• 3 years later...

I suppose I can't do this either, but I'm trying to label part of my design on a split level as it's own floor. For some reason, when I change the height of the kitchen, bedroom ceilings which are supposed to be 46" higher drop to match the kitchen ceiling. If I raise the bedroom ceiling back up, the kitchen ceiling becomes 13 feet tall

Arkad7,

Ceiling heights on lower floors are dependent on the floor elevation of the room(s) above and their floor structure thickness (including in some cases the ceiling structure of individual rooms). 

Depending on how complicated the overlapping rooms above are it can be a bit difficult to get everything the way you want it.

In order for anyone here to really help, you will need to post your plan and explain what you want where.