Estimating materials and costs

stuart1111

I tried to use CA for material take offs and costs for bids. but was frustrated in the past. Materials not correct, etc

Is it really possible to draw a project, get a real material take off of quantities with costs?

Have not found so.

if so, pls make any suggestions, training videos, etc. Or if not, a separate estimating software.

It is taking too much time to turn an estimate around.

thanks

ver 8

Stuart:

ver 8 or ver X8 ???

there are a few chiefers who make great usage of the ML

but not without a lot of manual intervention

I think most chiefers find the ML to be a "hassle"

and potentially unreliable without a lot of verification

the better the model the better the ML

Lew

The materials list a tool that is only as good as the model it is reading. If you take shortcuts on the model, the materials list will reflect that. A good solid accurate model WILL 100% produce a good solid materials list.

If accurate modeling is a hassle....as some here suggest....then you likely have the wrong idea about what this software should do. 

Joey:

every "workaround" requires manual intervention with the ML

for everything I have read on the forum since I stared with ver 9.5

is that it is NOT possible to build a model in chief and then generate an ML

and use it as is with no changes

manual intervention and great care is needed

if this has changed I would like to hear it from other chiefers

you are the only chiefer I know of that insists the ML is perfect as is

Lew

for everything I have read on the forum since I stared with ver 9.5

is that it is NOT possible to build a model in chief and then generate an ML

and use it as is with no changes

There in lies the problem. While you have been busy reading about it, I have been busy using it. 

Stuart. The materials list will generate 100% of the items in your model. For this there is no question, there is no debate. If it's hardcoded to be counted....it will be counted. But you have to do your part. If you use a workaround for something, then you need to account for those materials, Chief will not read your mind. In the newer versions, the materials list has been improved in the area of lumber counts with addition of the cut list, buy list, etc...If you are using V.8, then you don't have access to those. If you are using V.X8, then investigate a little more about how to utilize those tools and develop an understanding of how the items are being counted.

I can tell you, as a statement of fact rather than conjecture from others, that I have a couple builders that use my list for all roofing, sheathing, flooring, trim & moldling, siding, concrete, paint, drywall, housewrap, doors and windows. The improved schedules used with the list makes ordering beams and posts easier. But again, I have my template(s) set up to aid me in creating accurate models, and producing accurate lists of materials.

I hope this gives you some hope. 

There is talk about using the "SLAB" footing tool to build footings in a crawl space by turning the wall Invisible. This method works

but the footing will not show up in the material list. This is one example of building your model 100% will not translate into a

100% material list. For crawl spaces use the post/footing tool instead, it will show in the material list. The extra line showing when two

footings are touching,just use a cad patch to hide until CA. fixes the connection.