Chief running in Linux?

Kreme_04

Has anyone any experience of running CA on a Linux machine?

I am getting fed up with windows and know a couple of people running Ubuntu and they love it!

It is time for me to upgrade my computer so I'm exploring all options I can think of.

Cheers

Baz

Running Chief on Linux would require installing an emulator. Chances are that would have numerous problems. I've never been motivated to try this.

Recently I have been working on a project developing highly portable libraries for future versions of Chief. One of the platforms I test on is Ubuntu.

I've reinstalled Ubuntu from scratch at least 4 times so far this year because for one reason or another something hosed my install. Upgrading Ubuntu was the cause in at least 2 cases. I have a somewhat new laptop. Some of the hardware was not well supported. It is only with Ubuntu 14.10 that the video card actually works OK and it is still not well supported.

While I would like to think that there is a better alternative to Windows or Mac, it doesn't currently exist.

You can still install Win 7. HP is now advertising that they will ship computers with Win 7. It's very stable and will be supported for a good many years. Can't say whether software is being developed for Win 8.1 specific.

Chief runs well on Windows 8.1 as does pretty much all other software that runs on Windows 7.

I can't speak to the motives of those that dislike Windows 8. As far as I'm concerned I prefer it over Windows 7. If you have a touch screen you will be better off with Windows 8.

Mainstream support of Windows 7 is scheduled to stop in Jan. I would recommend upgrading before then.

I’m surprised at the confusion here. In simplest terms:

Mainstream support, as I understand it, per the referenced articles, means the end of service updates or program improvements to us the users on Jan 1, 2015. Not mentioned, is that with the release of Windows 8.1, Microsoft is EXTREMELY unlikely to release any improvements or bug fixes to Windows 7 anyway.   This would be akin to expecting Chief to fix bugs in X5. Not going to happen anyhow.

More important, is that if a bug is discovered in Win 7 after next year, which may affect the operation of Chief, Microsoft will no longer help, try to fix it or even assist Chief. This really affects Chief more than us so it’s to their advantage to have all their users, and perhaps us, on the current supported system. Rarely does Microsoft fix past bugs on past OS, other than to admit they exist and advise an upgrade – so I think this is mostly a “Red Herring” issue.

Extended support mostly means a continuation of security updates which do not alter the OS features – so you’re still protected until 2020.

Personally I don’t plan on updating until I see Windows 9.0.  I’m guessing you’ll have more of a risk with unknown bugs in the current OS rather than Windows 7 which is pretty stable now. I don’t really see any new features in Windows 8 in which Chief can take advantage of. Also, since Chief relies on third party utilities, it always takes a few years to work their way down the line. I think your safe with Windows 7 for a couple more years --- IMNOHO.

Gerry:

I agree, many, many users have been using XP with Chief

the same with Vista

I hear that Win 10 is coming in 2015

I would have waited to upgrade from Vista till then

but my PC died during an ice storm power surge

so I went with Win 7

I am a light user of chief but was having no issues with Vista

Lew

• 1 year later...

Even though this thread is 1½ year old:

Has anyone any experience of running CA on a Linux machine?

I am getting fed up with windows and know a couple of people running Ubuntu and they love it!

It is time for me to upgrade my computer so I'm exploring all options I can think of.

Cheers

Baz

I've been running Linux (OpenSUSE) on my computer for years, and I haven't managed yet to run CA on this machine - neither Wine nor PlayOnLinux has been working for me to make CA run.

The only workaround I found was: installing Windows on a virtual machine, and run CA there. :unsure:

Tbh I think it's a pity that CA doesn't offer a Linux version as well, because I don't know any native Linux software that can count as an alternative. :(

• 3 months later...

I have Ubuntu 14 on my laptop and it sure would be nice of CA would come out with a compatible version!  I had Windows 10 on my laptop and I'm not a fan.  You have to run so much crap to just 'feel" safe.  So far Ubuntu is working great for me (other than no CA for it), and as far as AV I just put a few addons to Firefox and watch what email I open so no need for AV.

I guess what I am trying to get across here is that CA needs to think about making a version for Linux!

I guess what I am trying to get across here is that CA needs to think about making a version for Linux!

I Agree!  The hangup when I have tried was with the hardware lock or entering serial number for software lock.  Chief should at least make these two work on Linux (Ubuntu) and let us experiment under "Wine" just for grins. :)

there have been other recent theads about Linux

and the gist is  that since Linux has less than 2% market share

it is unlikely to get support from CA

but this is the opinion of we users (particularly windows users)

so you should contact CA's sales dept directly to inform them of your wants

Lew