William

Why is RTS on lighting symbols?

Can anyone explain why the term "RTS" (Remote Test Station?) is included in the name of so many of the lighting fixtures?  :huh:

I just went through placing a bunch of random lighting fixtures and I didn't see it once.  Someone will ask you to attach a plan to show...

I believe it is a recessed light with reflector trim and a spot bulb.  Many people just call it a recessed down light.

I'm not certain what they actually stand for, but the "R", the "T", and the "S" are there to display the status of the light.

R = Used in standard rendering mode (R for Render is how I remember)
T = Used for ray trace views (T for Trace is how I remember)
S = Light is set to cast shadows (S for Shadows is how I remember)

If you turn light off you will see no extra letters at all.

P.S. Your electrical labels need to be on and set to automatic (or at least include the %light_info% macro) for the fixture in order to see the R, T, and/or S.

One more detail I just discovered.  In order to get those labels to show up for all light fixtures automatically, you'll need to drop a schedule in the plan and check "Include Type" in the label tab of the schedule dbx. Without the schedule, the only option is to drop the macro I mentioned above into the label for each fixture. 

If you are looking for a way to get rid of the extra letters, just uncheck "Include Type". 

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    MattyD-603
    Newest Member
    MattyD-603

• By LCDesign
      How do you get the 2D symbols in the electrical legend to show up at the same size that they are in the plan (or a size that is desired)?  Is there a way to control the size of the 2D symbols in electrical legends?  The 2D symbols come in so large that they blow the legends right off the page.  If I scale the legend down, the text becomes illegible.

• By WWDesign
      Hi,
      New to Chief Architect and a Mac Use with Version 2021.  I can't seem to find the Centerline Symbol in this program, yet when I google it, some videos show the symbol in Dimensions.  However, nothing is there for this symbol in this version.   Please advise.
      Thanks!

• By SNestor
      Building on the videos Eric (Solver) made recently...I did this video to show how you can construct a tapered paneled column in plan view, using p-solids and a molding polyline. It's a fast method...and the best part is you don't have to use a 3D molding polyline.

Check it out....

• By gridco14
      Hi!

I'm trying to get a wall mounted light inside a skylight well.   So far I figured I could put it on a wall nearby and specify the offset/height to get it to "appear" in the more or less correct place.  This kind of works, but I'm wondering if anyone has a more legit way of doing this?  I'm hopeful to get the light to automatically tilt with the slope of the well.

• By Night8917
      Hi Guys and Girls.

I've been away form this forum for a long time, maybe some of you still remember me.
      I had another job for a few year and I didn't have time to be here, how ever Covid struck and I lost the other job.
      So to make some extra money I will offer my symbols for sale and also take custom symbol orders, if you want something special I make it for you.

You can see a few of my symbols, old and new on my facebook page.
      https://www.facebook.com/LAN-Web-Atelier-1026690994013108

If you like what you see send me a PM or an E-mail.

Best regards
      Anders Niemi