Changing Stain On Beamed Ceiling W/o Changing Grain Direction

capitaldesigns

I am new to CA, I am using S-7.

I am working on a plan with an open beamed ceiling. I have already changed the direction of the grain in the sloped 4x8 rafters to match the slope 

of the rafters. I would like to change the stain color of the wood rafters. When I select a different stain color the grain of the rafter changes back to

the original direction which is not parallel to the length of the rafters. Is there a way to change the stain color of a wood rafter without the grain

direction? 

Thanks,

Mike

Some materials can be doubled.  Pick a color in 3-d mode and apply it to the beam.  It should be something that has ONLY color as a material.  Apply it to your beam.  It will probably keep the texture of the grain but tint it the color from the object you picked the color material from.

Not sure exactly what you're doing,  but it sounds like you're probably applying a new material and not simply a color to the existing material.  It's usually best to find a material in the library that is exactly what you want rather than tweaking the colors, however if you DO need to tweak colors, there are at least a couple ways to do so...

1.  Using the Adjust Material Definition Tool.  Navigate to the Texture tab and under Material Color check "Blend with Texture" and adjust the color to what you want it to be using any of the various methods there in the Select Color DBX...including the little eyedropper in the bottom left corner which you can use to select a color from anywhere on your screen (not just from within Chief).

OR

2.  Simply select a color from the library and apply it with the Material Painter.  Make sure Blend Colors with Materials (the paint roller) is toggled on (or checked).  I usually make sure that Blend Colors is toggled off except for the express purpose of modifying strictly the color of any given material.  Once you've made your modifications,  toggle Blend Colors back off to avoid screwing up any materials elsewhere in your model.