We recently started using CAx7 to design and build all of our jobs requiring plans but often run into situations needing the stamp of an engineer. We need to find an engineer that would be able to use the work we've put into producing the design and layout files to produce their set and collaborate with us in the process. Our typical requirements are for small home additions and random structural approvals as required by the building department. If anyone is interested, or knows someone who is, please let me know. I am also fairly new to CAx7 (background is Revit/ACAD/Rhino) so there may be a bit of a learning curve on the front end as I get over my "bad habits". 

Kurt Snyder

studCONSTRUCTION

Designer/Draftsman

kurt@studconstruction.net

So you know, I really dont think many engineers use CA, so its doubtful you'll find someone from this forum that can integrate the way you're seeking.  Your best bet is to export into dwg and then import their work...which will increase your options.

I export my plan and elevation views as AutoCAD dwg file formatted views to then share with Structural Engineers, works for me for decades.

DJP

I know an engineer in Anaheim you can use, he just needs full scale prints, and does no drawing, just for markups. P.m. me if you want his number

• Upvote 1

I work with quite a few engineers here in the OC. In Orange, Santa Ana and Lake Forest.

Like David said, I send them my DWGs and PDFs and let them do their thing.

PM me if you like or email me at andytardif@gmail.com 714-412-0371

Andy.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for all the feedback. I suppose for now we'll have to continue to send .dwg or deliver prints. On a fairly similar note has any used Chief to Collaborate at all? Is it useful for this type of trade to trade communication the way Revit is? Thanks again.

I'm a licensed PE and in the process of switching over to CA. I'm also in the process of seeing a lot of work come in the door. I'm definitely interested in collaborating but I'm in Reno so you guys would have to do any site work for me. I can do inspections via video though so it could work out. Give me a shout.

One of the engineers I use on the Monterey peninsula uses CA but I find that minimally helpful. Most engineers are just using the plan and section views. I can export dwg for that easily enough.