Block Fence

builtright3

Joey,

Fencing Specification dbx...Rail Style panel...Build From...choose from Step Terrain or Follow Terrain.

That's the easy part.

How do I change the panels to a block wall instead of a wood fence? That was my original question. I told Glen I wanted to use the fence tool because I new that I could make it follow the terrain.

Here's what I envisioned you doing with a "block" foundation wall.  Just stepped it in elevation views to follow the terrain and adjusted the tops of the walls as shown.  Takes a little time but not too bad.  I tried the stepping to follow terrain suggestion but found that not very useful for my way of thinking.

post-191-0-92368600-1430852825_thumb.jpg          post-191-0-08587700-1430852843_thumb.jpg

The footing for the block wall can be set to whatever size you need.  You could cap the walls if desired or even put a railing on top of the blocks ... but then you'd have fun making that look good at any elevation changes.  Hopefully someone else will show you a better way.  Best I can come up with for now.

I think you should craft your idea as a suggestion for the suggestion forum.  It would be nice to be able to set the block wall height and then have its "base" step to follow the terrain.  Of course you would want to specify how deep the footing would build with respect to the top of the terrain.  I am sure a little more thought would need to be put into this before requesting a new feature.  In the meantime, if what I am showing is close to what you had in mind, then at least you can get that part of your project completed without too much effort.

Here's what I envisioned you doing with a "block" foundation wall.  Just stepped it in elevation views to follow the terrain and adjusted the tops of the walls as shown.  Takes a little time but not too bad.  I tried the stepping to follow terrain suggestion but found that not very useful for my way of thinking.

attachicon.gifSteppedBlockFenceWall3D.JPG          attachicon.gifSteppedBlockFenceWallXSec.JPG

The footing for the block wall can be set to whatever size you need.  You could cap the walls if desired or even put a railing on top of the blocks ... but then you'd have fun making that look good at any elevation changes.  Hopefully someone else will show you a better way.  Best I can come up with for now.

I think you should craft your idea as a suggestion for the suggestion forum.  It would be nice to be able to set the block wall height and then have its "base" step to follow the terrain.  Of course you would want to specify how deep the footing would build with respect to the top of the terrain.  I am sure a little more thought would need to be put into this before requesting a new feature.  In the meantime, if what I am showing is close to what you had in mind, then at least you can get that part of your project completed without too much effort.

I think CJSpud,  by Buddy who lives in the Hinterlands nailed it......  and this is what bugs me........  the footings do not go below the terrain.  CJ had to manually adjust the bottom of the footings so they are below the terrain.

Does that make sense?  Why can't we build what CJ built,  but have a dvx setting where we can specify how much lower than the grade is the bottom of the footings,  so we do not have to manually adjust the bottom of the wall.

CJ,  is that what you did?  Did you have to manually adjust the bottom of the wall?

Yup ... everything done manually once I placed the walls.  Then went to elevation views for each and moved the bottoms down to the desired location first, then edited the tops to somewhat correspond with what I did at the footing level.  I just sort of eyeballed the footing tops and wall tops to try to match seams of the block wall texture.  I made the wall specs for the block 8 x 16 x 8.  What is nice with what I did is that you can edit the vertical edges of the stepped footings to put a little more concrete at the step locations (if desired). 

Here's the plan I used if anyone wants to check it out.

SteppedBlockWallFenceTest.zip

Yup ... everything done manually once I placed the walls.  Then went to elevation views for each and moved the bottoms down to the desired location first, then edited the tops to somewhat correspond with what I did at the footing level.  I just sort of eyeballed the footing tops and wall tops to try to match seams of the block wall texture.  I made the wall specs for the block 8 x 16 x 8.  What is nice with what I did is that you can edit the vertical edges of the stepped footings to put a little more concrete at the step locations (if desired). 

Here's the plan I used if anyone wants to check it out.

attachicon.gifSteppedBlockWallFenceTest.zip

That is what I thought.  You edited both the tops and bottoms of the walls.  We all know that you can set a wall that follows terrain and that is stepped to a specific height.  What you would get CJ is a top profile similar to what you have via editing........  so I am not sure you had to edit the top of the wall to get the steps at top of wall.......  but I know for a fact to get the steps at the bottom of the wall and the footing at the bottom of the wall and the steps for the footing at the bottom of the wall,  you needed to manually edit the bottom of the wall.

So the question is,  why can't we specify a stepped bottom of wall with footings at bottom of wall so that the footings are beneath the top of grade?

Great post CJ.  This should be in the suggestion forum.

I can get an OK stepped fence using Glenn's suggestion (see white picket fence in the foreground).  When I "tried" Jon's suggestion of using the landscape block wall material, it starts getting too juicy for the time I had to mess around with it so I did my own thing. 

post-191-0-71972200-1430860455_thumb.jpg

Zeroing out the newels in the Jon's block wall (my version) levels out the top of the wall (no steps) so I start doing other things that look more productive.  This morning I tried to make a fence type out of the library's CMU materials but didn't have much success so gave that up too.  I wanted to have the footing attached to the CMU's and then have it step like Glenn's method but I failed.  Maybe it can be done ... I got frustrated and moved on.

I built the pink wall using the fence tool and it steps automatically to the terrain. It does not have a footing but that doesn't really matter I decided at this point. Maybe I can figure that out later. I know I can put a footing underneath it but I would have to step it manually.

post-2478-0-55973800-1430927136_thumb.png