Cad To Wall Tool Question

MrDaveAres

Go to solution Solved by jbaehmer,

I am trying to do my due diligence and read the Reference manual cover to cover to learn CA.  I am stuck on the CAD to Walls tool section.  I have drawn 2 parallel lines close enough together to have them convert to walls via the CAD to Walls tool.  Only problem is that the newly created walls don't show up in any of  3D views.  The new walls are on Walls, Normal layer and that the Walls, Normal layer is turned on in the camera view.  I have even switched to the ALL ON layer set.  Still nothing in 3D.  Thanks to all why have any ideas/answers.

If you have a wall, and it's layer is turned on in the layer set being used by the camera view and assuming that your camera is actually looking at the wall, there are probably only a few other things that could be wrong.  It may be that the wall has bad materials or a bad wall type definition.  Try just drawing a normal wall nest to it and see if it shows up.   If all else fails, post your plan and I bet some one could figure it out in less time then it took me to write this.

I wouldn't bother with the CAD to WALLS tool

It is essentially worthless :(

It has never worked for me since I first tried it with ver 9.5 :(

I just tried it again with ver 6 a few months back and again no joy ?

I asked CA to send me a .DWG  file that it would work for and no joy ?

the recommendation on this forum for a decade is that it is far easier to

import the image and scale it and then trace over it with chief walls

this tool should be revised or removed

Lew

• Solution

I would just trace the CAD Lines with you typical walls in CA.  The concept is a good one, but when I tried to do in on other projects, I found that simply tracing the CAD lines after importing the DWG was 10x faster than trying to get all the layers correct and then using the tool.

I know there are others that may like the tool, however, personally...I am with Lew on this one.  I think it needs to go.