Dimensions On Cabinet Elevations

4hotshoez

I may be wrong, but the new feature to dimension cabinet molding and countertops does not seem to work on custom countertops and molding polylines. Usually, I would use the stuff with the cabinets, but some special situations required custom tops and crown mold. Anyone else experience this?

I may be wrong, but the new feature to dimension cabinet molding and countertops does not seem to work on custom countertops and molding polylines. Usually, I would use the stuff with the cabinets, but some special situations required custom tops and crown mold. Anyone else experience this?

I think you are wrong.  I'm on x7.  I built base cabinet,  dimentioned from from floor to top of counter and then to back splash.   I then turned into custom countertop,  dimensions stayed.  I built upper cab.,  dimensioned molding,  all worked well,  not sure what your issue is.  I could not reproduce.

Looks like your right Scott. Must have changed in one of the updates.

Weird thing is: I opened a plan done since the updates and it is fine. Was about to post but thought for a second, opened the plan and elevation that drove me nuts. It still doesn't work there- unless I'm missing something?

post-85-0-34756600-1428768093_thumb.png

Looks like your right Scott. Must have changed in one of the updates.

Weird thing is: I opened a plan done since the updates and it is fine. Was about to post but thought for a second, opened the plan and elevation that drove me nuts. It still doesn't work there- unless I'm missing something?

I still think you are wrong.  I opened your NOGO plan,  did back clip cross section,  vertical dimensioned countertop,  then converted to custom counter top,  dimension stayed in place.

Scott open the plan to the elevation I noted- it is already a custom counter and won't dimension.

Graham don't think that is the reason- I just checked another view in the same plan where it is working and it doesn't work. Cabinets and counters are exactly the same both custom counters and in both cases the counter is also specked on the cabinet . On the attached plan- in View E1 it won't and in E4 it will

I tried again in E1 and it worked fine for me. Used "General", "End to End" & "Point to Point" all worked fine. Did this in the middle and both ends of the cabinet run, still worked fine. Also tried of the other elevation views and everything dimensioned. Only one that was E6, had to make sure to drag through the cabinets. If I only dragged through the overhang part with the "End to End" it would not lock on. If I used the "General" it locks on but the extension is on the cabinet, not the bottom of the counter. If I turn of the island counter top thickness in the cabinet DBX then I cannot dimension the counter top.

I think the reason I said I might be wrong is that the process of dimensioning is not consistent. I nearly always struggle to get a dimension to snap to what I need. In x7 plan view I even point to a wall surface (wall surfaces are checked for both sides) and it snaps to something of lesser value like a soffit or an arrowhead that is more that 18" away from the wall I was pointing to. I can grab the snap point and drag it to the place I wanted, but this seems to be happening a lot.

In a wall elevation, I snap to a point I can see and Chief indicates that it can see, then the extension line will end up on the opposite side of the elevation or, in one case, about 20' above the point I selected, connected to something invisible. Then there are those krazy "plus" signs. Chief indicates that it sees an intersection, but still adds a plus sign. I do not understand that. I find that I spend a lot of time fighting with dimensions, and there is no viable alternative in Chief, or I have been missing the secret to frustration free dimensioning.

I just tried two plans using the profile plan- thought maybe I had some spooge in my annosets so wanted OOB settings.

Drew 4 walls, dropped cabinets on each wall, added doors.

Converted to custom counters.

For variation I adjusted some counters, some cabinets, some from multiple cabinets, some just one cabinet and no adjustment.

Took backclipped elevations of each wall and then tried snapping dims. (did two plans so I could change the order things were placed and the views taken)

In BOTH plans - I get dimensions that appear to snap to counters on the elevations facing north (top of screen) and not on any others.

The ones that do snap -show no nodes where the snap is, one of them shows extension lines going up to nowhere (something I almost never see).

Todd- have you tried annosets? I use them a lot for dims- turns some things off, changes what is located- like that. Helps but obviously not solving this for me :)

I have no idea why Graham can get it to work on the same plan-just for grins I tried floating a custom top and checked that in on section- nada.

Graham- did you try horizontal dimensions? I can get them to snap with vertical ones, not horizontal.

I'll deal with support on this when I get free but for now just too busy to fuss with it. I rarely need this in elevation and as I noted earlier I avoid it since having problems (that I don't remember in X6)

post-85-0-45614300-1428857395_thumb.png

Yes, I do annosets. I am still experimenting with them to using them to the full potential.

I have a wall cabinet that I cannot get a horizontal dim to snap to it and will not even see it. I have to draw a 2D cad line on every elevation for the dims to grab the elements the Dims will not grab.