Deck On A Deck

Daveber

Go to solution Solved by Kbird1,

Still a novice and could use some help.  I've been trying to create a step up deck.  Have been unsuccessful placing the polygon deck on top of the lower deck. 

Polygon sides A & B to cantilever the lower deck by 24" at callouts C & D. 

Lower Deck: Floor 120 3/4"; Ceiling 221 1/8"; Roof over room - off; Ceiling over room - off; Plank, Joist - 10 5/8"; Auto framing - off

Polygon Deck: Floor 127 3/8"; Ceiling 227 3/4"; Roof over room - off; Ceiling over room - off; Plank, Joist - 6 5/8"; Auto framing - off

I know I'm trying to put one room atop another, but can't figure how to accomplish and maintain framing details.  I'm guessing I need to create a hole in the lower deck and put the polygon deck inside.  If that is the solution, how do I maintain the framing detail of the lower deck?

Attached is an example deck  Would appreciate some guidance.

post-5378-0-10502600-1428295031_thumb.jpg

post-5378-0-81464500-1428295031_thumb.jpg

post-5378-0-21838100-1428295032_thumb.jpg

• Solution

I thought you might need to manually frame this but I decided to give it a try since I was on HT answering a few questions and had HD Pro open anyway and you can just shift select and ctrl-drag the auto octagonal Deck over the main deck after setting it 7" higher in the oct.deck Room DBX , once you drag it over the main Deck the outer part of the Oct.Deck Room tries to drop back to 0" ,so reset it to 7" , and then multi- select the rails you don't want to see and make them all invisible.

think that was all...

post-315-0-89757500-1428303915_thumb.jpg

post-315-0-19512500-1428303926_thumb.jpg

Interesting,  the deck does not frame on top of a deck.  I said,  the smaller deck does not frame on top of the lower deck.

To get a deck to frame on top of another deck,  I believe you would have to frame the decks,  and then select the decks,  and then TURN OFF AUTO DECK FRAMING or RETAIN DECK FRAMING,  which ever the option is,  and then you may get the framing of the upper deck to sit on the lower deck.

I do not believe Mick was clear on this.  I do not like the Gumpsters option of building deck in a different plan and  turning into a symbol, however his suggestion should work.....  oh boy.....  could be confusing.....  no super good method to do this,  if it was me,  I would build the upper deck separately in same plan,  turn off auto deck framing,  and then move the upper deck over the lower deck......  not  great fool proof method,  but maybe the best solution......  

I did this design for a customer without moving anything over. Pretty much what Mick did there, just raise the elevation of desired deck area and thats all there is to it. This is a 3 tier deck.

With that said why would you want to frame one deck on top of another in the first place. Waste of money, lumber and double work. 

post-4069-0-14788200-1428364056_thumb.jpg

D. Scott, I've done as you suggested numerous times before my original post, yet every time I move the octagon deck onto the lower deck, bam! portions of the decks are combined and all the deck framing lost.  I turned off auto framing off and selected to retain the framing.  I think I tried every combination I could.  Although the symbol idea may not be the best solution, I can retain the two files with my framing plans and material list along with the representation of the deck.  I realize not the best, but time better spent on the bid/contract. 

My appreciation to you all.

Greg, two reasons for the deck on a deck.  The first is architecture the client's Mrs. wanted a "She" space.  The second and more importantly, is the client has a recreation room and bar under the main deck.  He was quite clear that the new deck was to limit the number of posts under the deck.  Therefore, the step up onto the octagon will be framed into the lower deck framing.

Scott is correct I didn't Flip the deck upside down to see if all the framing was there , I could see the Beams and posts etc ,so made an assumption ( and we know where that gets ya !),seems my original thought was correct you do need to play with the framing manually ( not frame it manually though),all the framing you need is actually there you just have to drag it back out full length again  and delete a couple extra rim joists on the Octagon at the original deck level, and I extended the beams etc CA had cut back , 10mins ? work and it is all there except the dbl rimjoist as I hadn't spec'd that in the Deck Railing Wall defaults.

post-315-0-97085900-1428381377_thumb.jpg

post-315-0-59316500-1428381390_thumb.jpg

This would be how it was framed as an addition to the original deck, not if you were framing it from scratch of course.

M.