Lipped Drawer Head A Better Way?

MarkMc

Attached is a library with a lipped drawer symbol and block I used to create the symbol.

Problem is that in vector views the edge of the molding I used on the outside is showing.

Is there a better way to create this symbol (or others like it) that prevents the edge from showing up?

post-85-0-24220000-1427643428_thumb.png

lipped.calibz

Nice idea Dennis, won't let me turn molding pline into a solid.

Wonder if I can figure out how to make it just with solids-not my strong suit.

I tried: export as 3ds, converted to skp in TCad- then deleted the line in sketchup- imported. It's wee bit better but still there.  I'm starting to think it has to be??

Client was after me about it so I said I see if somebody smarter than me could solve it.

(Thought I was doing pretty good just to end up with a lipped drawer that worked, won't need one for another 10 years ;-)

Mark - I was afraid of that.  I have tried with solids but to get the profile on all 4 sides is a mystery to me with Chief's limitations on working in different views.  I am sure it is very easy in Sketchup.  I, however, have not taken the time to really do much in it.  I might play with it today if I get time.

Attached is a library with a lipped drawer symbol and block I used to create the symbol.

Problem is that in vector views the edge of the molding I used on the outside is showing.

Is there a better way to create this symbol (or others like it) that prevents the edge from showing up?

Mark.............Forgive me for asking (maybe not enough coffee this morning), but what "edge" are you refering too?

Mark,

Here's one I created using Chief Solids.  I created a cutting tool to trim the edges - similar to a router bit. B)

Joe - That is what I was attempting to do but only got it for two edges not four.  I can do it with a counter top but get the lines Mark wanted to avoid.  Can you enlighten me on your solid subtract process?

Yeah I'd like to know what powers the router? what tool? I spent an hour and change playing making assorted solids to assemble- finally had to get to work.

It still has the line- in this case because there is an extra edge on the face of the drawer. I'm not sure if it would go away even if flush. The dresser pic has the ones I cleaned up in SU a wee bit better than where I started.

Yours has a much deeper lip as well-not really a problem but it took me a bit to figure out the y origin so that it lipped the cabinet.

Larry- the black line where the molding meets the slab.

post-85-0-84582000-1427727652_thumb.png

post-85-0-14988900-1427727665_thumb.png

Dennis,

Starting in Plan View

1.  I created a closed polyline with the reverse profile of the edge (like a molding cutter that a cabinet shop would use).

2.  I converted that to a Polyline Solid 40" tall.

3.  I converted that to a Solid. (I blocked it and added to my library of "Cutting Tools" for future use.)

Then I displayed an Elevation View

4.  I arranged 4 of these to form a "Frame"  with an inside dimension of 32" wide x 6" tall

5.  I next created a solid box 36" wide x 8" tall x 3/4" thick and positioned it so that it was centered on the above "Frame"

6.  Using Solid Subtraction I cut away each edge of the drawer.

I need to do a little testing to see if I can save 3D Faces in the Library - kind of like Molding Profiles but to use to extrude as "Molding Cutters".

Mark,

My Lip Inset profile is pretty typical for that kind of door - to match how Lip-Inset Hinges fit.  Generally, the rabbit around the back face of the door is 3/8"x7/16" and the door/drawer overlaps the face of the cabinet 1/4" all the way around.

Joe - OK.  Obviously I did not try that specific process.  I get pretty much the same thing with the counter top, edge profile and then flipping into position on conversion to door symbol.

That might work but you would definitely need to make sure the same material was used for both the countertop and the edge molding in order to avoid the black line.  even then, I'm not sure that would do it.

That's great, thanks Joe. I saw Dennis' comment while I was out so expected it.

Set the Y origin to 1/2 and it's perfect. Client will be happy-I owe ya one (again :)

Thanks for the tutorial too-there are a couple of contemporary slabs where it will be useful.

post-85-0-09897100-1427763411_thumb.png

Agreed Dennis, I include edge profiles in the docs to keep it all clear.

In any case she is a repeat hi end client, owns a real estate agency, worth the effort in the long run.

I would almost go so far as to say she was the tipping point for me to switch to CA from 2020 for most work. When doing her kitchen I went through endless variations of moss green renderings, a headache in 2020. Switched in the middle of her job, wasn't the main reason just a bonus.

Mark, a few years ago, I made some lip molded doors/drawers and paneled doors like we would actually make in the field using 3/8" lip mold. For the paneled doors, I used the panel molding that we used to make this type of door in the field in combination with 3/4" Birch or Oak plywood. The paneled doors have the 3/8" lip mold too. If you are interested in this library, let me know (and the version of CA you're using). 

post-66-0-42565200-1428067615_thumb.jpg

post-66-0-14773300-1428067688_thumb.jpg

Nice Tommy, thanks but I'm covered, Joe's made the client happy. I make the door symbols a lot like you do. I've taken to saving them as blocks so I can just change panels and moldings- have a few "sticks" in the library for rails and stiles to keep grain direction proper. This was a special case. Once I'm out from under the current onslaught I'm gonna try  Joe's method for a few contemporary doors.