Frank Lloyd Wright Doors

pktraylor

Off subject a bit.  Falling Water is about 45 min. from my house.  

I've had a couple of personal tours.

Frank Lloyd Wright used an interesting concept on that house.  

You follow a small narrow stone passage and enter the house into a huge space.

He used this concept to enhance the excitement of entering the large room with a view over the falls.

The small stone entry makes you feel compressed and it expands into an open kitchen, dining and living room with glass walls.

Electromen, in your visit to Fallingwater, you have hit upon a couple of key concepts of what makes for great architecture.

To quote from Matthew Fredrick's great little book, 101 Things I Learned in Architecture School, "Our experience of an architectural space is strongly influenced by how we arrive in it. A tall bright space will feel taller and brighter if counterpointed by a low-ceilinged, softly lit space." This is the concept of counterpoint and "every aspect of a building offers such opportunities...such as using repetitive columns against a continuous wall..."

The second key concept that Wright's Fallingwater so famously demonstrates is that of  genius loci, or genius of place, which, again quoting Frederick, "is used to describe places that are deeply memorable for their architectural and experiential qualities." (emphasis added)

If you interested in learning more about what makes for good architecture (concepts and methods), Matthew Frederick's short, introductory work is a good place to start.

Off subject a bit.  Falling Water is about 45 min. from my house.  

I've had a couple of personal tours.

Frank Lloyd Wright used an interesting concept on that house.  

You follow a small narrow stone passage and enter the house into a huge space.

He used this concept to enhance the excitement of entering the large room with a view over the falls.

The small stone entry makes you feel compressed and it expands into an open kitchen, dining and living room with glass walls.

ain't that a pistol,  here I am checking out the stairs to the water fall back in 1978.

post-50-0-49392700-1427561421_thumb.png

WOW! I amazed you found that photo.

So was I.  I have maybe 25 photos at my immediate disposal,  and this was one of them.  This photo was taken during my road trip up to PA.  back in 1978 when I drove my dorm mate at the University of Houston up to his place in Mechanicsburg PA.  Good memories of that trip including the trip to Falling Water,  one of my all time favorite homes.