Loft Floor in Barndo

Cadwork22

Go to solution Solved by GeneDavis,

Way back before even the first Apple PC, with computers the size of buildings, we second-year engineering students were all required to take a core course titled "numerical methods."

The problem assignments, one per week, required we use the big Univac, but as for learning to code, we were on our own.  One bought the Algol manual at the bookstore, and read it.

With paper and pencil, I'd write out the code, take the notebook to the keypunch room, wait for a free machine, type out code into punchcards, then take my deck to the card reader, stand in line, get the deck read, then move to the printer for my output.

One typo, one mis-sequenced card, or just plain code error, and your printout said, in computerese, "no good."

Three unsuccessful tries in same day got you a printout with the message I've never forgotten: "Do not use Monte Carlo methods when attempting to code."

Translation: read the manual, dummy.  The message was probably some grad student's idea of a joke.

@Cadwork22, you are attempting to learn Chief using Monte Carlo methods. Please spend more time with the manual, and watch the training videos.  Get one on one personal training from a Chief pro.  Do the work of learning.

This thread shows us you haven't even fully grasped the concept of Chief "rooms," which is beginner-level stuff.

A couple more like this, and everyone will ignore your threads.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Gene, 

Although I thoroughly enjoyed your story, I think the message you were sending is a bit harsh. 

People learn in different ways so what works for one person may not work for others.  Some people learn best by reading the manual, some by watching videos, some by taking classes, some by asking questions, some by trial and error, and some by a mix of all of the above. 

I still remember a time when I was working in my first real job out of school that I was assigned to a mentor.  I had a tendency to ask a lot of questions.  One day my mentor was obviously frustrated with all my questions so he asked me, in a tone that I will probably never forget, "What school did you go to?", as if they could possibly teach you everything you need to know in school.  I realized later that he was the kind of person that didn't ask questions because he liked to figure everything out on his own but he expected everyone else to do the same.  After that, I avoided asking him any questions which made it much more difficult to learn my job.  He may have been very good at his job but I really don't think he was a very good mentor for me. 

If you think a question is easily solvable, you can always just not answer it.  What might work better though, would be to point someone in the right direction so that they can find the answer themselves.  We all know that Chief is far more complicated than it first seems.  I often think that Chief falls into the category of "easy to use but hard to master".  I am constantly amazed at the things I am still learning about the program even after using it for many years.  

So Michael I would encourage you to continue to ask as many questions as you need to.  I would also encourage you to see if you can figure out the answer on your own first though because you might be surprised what you can do.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

• Solution

I am back because I think some more needs to be said about not this problem caused by somehow wall def getting improperly spec'd, but to comment on @Cadwork22Michael's larger problem, that of not knowing the most elemental basics of Chief.

I downloaded and opened to explore the Barndo plan, and it is a very simple three bay two story thing with one single shed roof.  But how it got built is kind of a mystery, and I did not want to waste time trying to imagine the sequence of walls, floors, etc.  The plan, simply, is a huge mess of bad practice.

In just a couple of minutes, I drew the a floor plan of something with the same footprint arrangement, drew interior walls to make it three bays, just let it all auto-roof from the OOB setup defaults, added a second floor accepting the same exterior perimeter, drew railing walls over the lower floor walls to create the balcony rooms, then specified the center room as "open below."  All it then took to get the roof about right was editing the exterior walls for roof definition (slope, hip wall, gable wall, high shed/gable) and it autoroofed as wanted.  Here is a glasshouse view of my quick build.  One single roof plane, three rooms floor 1, two lofts with railings on floor 2, center bay open below.

676708582_Screenshot2024-10-15110316.thumb.png.7f84bae009c07c6652a54cbd507ff49c.png

Michael got an answer here as to how to get the loft floors to generate, but he got no real direction about how to correctly build this very basic arrangement of rooms with the roof over he wants.  Until he takes the time to learn, either by video and study and practice or zoom sessions with pros, he is still going to flounder.  Posting badly-built models here and getting quick fixes for single-issue problems ain't a good learning process.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1