Dormers are my nemesis

GeneDavis

Here is a link to the plan file, I hope it works.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oGjMh6BkRag3XOpFHvuqKC8rBs-kY5mp/view?usp=sharing

A dormer with front wall rising from exterior wall below has two problem cheek walls, and they are not symmetrical as you will see if you examine the plan.  Inside, things all look good to me, but outside, it sucks.

All help is appreciated.  In the closeup image, I point at the problems.

Screenshot 2024-08-09 212519.png

Screenshot 2024-08-09 212416.png

Haven't opened the plan Gene , but it appears to me your Roof planes are destroying the Cheek walls.

If the cheek walls do not goto the floor inside ? Try this... in the wall's Roof Tab , set Roof Cuts wall at bottom - and Chief will adjust the roof hole for you.

If the Cheek walls do goto the floor you will need to alter the Roof Planes (RP) manually - pull them back a Foot all the way around, let them rebuild, then grab an edge and slowly approach the wall, the RP will "sense" the wall before to actually get there, watch carefully and you should see the RP "reach out" for the wall at about 3"-6", Take you finger OFF the button now and just let Chief auto snap the RP to the wall for you.

Mick.

26 minutes ago, GeneDavis said:

Thanks but the roof does some unexpected snapping when I try all that, and I can never get clean corners.

If you  "fight" chief's auto snap , and try doing it manually it often doesn't work quite right .....

I forgot to mention earlier nobody can get your plan as you haven't set the permissions to everyone so they can download it

image.thumb.png.7b21f27dff9cea90c5aa163647c7c895.png

30 minutes ago, GeneDavis said:

I fixed it so anyone with the link can download it.  Thanks for looking.

Part 1 of the Issue is the Cheek Walls being on the Attic level so the Roof Cut Wall setting is not working properly , at least that is why I think that didn't work...

Part 2 is you didn't close the back of the Dormer with an invisible wall which help to control the Cheek wall Length , which is why you see holes in the Valley, the Cheek walls are just too long.

but it's all fixed up, I am not sure what you have in here as I can't see this plan being 71mbs normally ?

image.thumb.png.d035428b35bcdc734885c10be074a1e1.png

M. 

Hey Mick, @Kbird1!  Thanks, but can you tell me what you did?

What I want is the way I built this thing a dozen years ago.  The cheek walls bear atop the sheathing and are 2x6 framing, just little things, their inner line lining up with the 2x4 wall below and the inviz one on the R side.

20 minutes ago, GeneDavis said:

File size?

It's the winder staircase, done in Sketchup and textured so the stained white oak treads all look correct.  The risers need to be done in knot pine.  Other than that, the toilets likely add up to some poly counts.

Thanks for the fixup!

It's huge for a small plan like this, I removed the Stairs and Toilets, beds etc and purged Materials , which didn't seem to help much , so I did a Plan File Only backup in Chief and it lost 70mbs !  so you were right I guess , some hidden textures........ drop this plan back in the same folder as the original plan and it should find the original textures no problem, though 3 were missing for me in 3D Views.  Just copy paste the furniture etc back in from the other plan if you are just going to use this File now....

Gene 1.zipPlan File

Mick.

31 minutes ago, GeneDavis said:

Hey Mick, @Kbird1!  Thanks, but can you tell me what you did?

What I want is the way I built this thing a dozen years ago.  The cheek walls bear atop the sheathing and are 2x6 framing, just little things, their inner line lining up with the 2x4 wall below and the inviz one on the R side.

Check out the Plan File above.....

M.

Hey, Mick @Kbird1!  Thanks for the fix but how does one get the interior-4 wall to go in the space under that exterior cheek wall, to close the room inside.  See my pic.

I tried doing the "lower roof type if split by adjoining roof" and got things all messed up, editing the roof to "intersect" (i.e. but tight against finish layer) but got nowhere.

Screenshot 2024-08-10 214314.png

1 minute ago, GeneDavis said:

how does one get the interior-4 wall to go in the space under that exterior cheek wal

I would normally shot a elevation camera at the wall and then in Elevation Shape the wall as needed under the Cheek wall.... if that fails the old standby 3D Solid also in elevation?

* it appears you have no floor structure in that small attic area in the pic above.

M. 

It's gonna have to be a 3D solid, because dragging the wall down yields a siding-6 wall inside, not the siding-4 wall I wanted.  I wonder why the lower wall type if roof cuts thing does not work.

It seems as if the tool (tool?  command?) is there specifically for situations like this dormer thing, an interior wall under the cheek wall.  

16 minutes ago, GeneDavis said:

It's gonna have to be a 3D solid, because dragging the wall down yields a siding-6 wall inside, not the siding-4 wall I wanted.  I wonder why the lower wall type if roof cuts thing does not work.

It seems as if the tool (tool?  command?) is there specifically for situations like this dormer thing, an interior wall under the cheek wall.  

maybe i wasn't clear enough? i meant shape the room wall and drag it left under the cheek wall.

M.

Won't work.  Two walls cannot occupy the same floor space.  Any attempt to drag that wall under the cheek wall above kills the cheek wall.

I wanted to have it all be true in this dormer so I could get Chief to frame it.  There's some complex framing going on here (I cut it all myself a dozen years ago so I know) and I wanted to be able to get most of it to auto.

But I can do the wall thing with a solid, and manually frame the funky parts.

Somebody wants a close clone of this which is why I am modeling it all over and doing a new set of con docs.  All I have from the 2010 project is a .pdf of the bid set docs.

13 minutes ago, GeneDavis said:

Won't work.  Two walls cannot occupy the same floor space.  Any attempt to drag that wall under the cheek wall above kills the cheek wall.

I wanted to have it all be true in this dormer so I could get Chief to frame it.  There's some complex framing going on here (I cut it all myself a dozen years ago so I know) and I wanted to be able to get most of it to auto.

But I can do the wall thing with a solid, and manually frame the funky parts.

Somebody wants a close clone of this which is why I am modeling it all over and doing a new set of con docs.  All I have from the 2010 project is a .pdf of the bid set docs.

Not sure why this one is so hard? did you try cutting and pasting that cheek wall up on to the attic level ? then dragging left?, it might destroy the exterior wall again though.

M.

OK @Kbird1I'm back after some more fiddling and I am still unable to get this mess to close up.

Each cheek wall is a siding-6 OOB Chief wall built at the A (attic) level and designated roof-cuts-wall-at-bottom.  Each sits atop interior-4 OOB Chief walls below on the second floor level 2.

The roof hole sides come in via the program to cut under the walls.  If you go in the dormer room inside you can select these walls to see how they fit to the scheme of walls, the interior lower walls sitting under the cheeks.

As is seen in 3D, the front ends of the cheek walls will not close with siding finish and I am befuddled as to why this won't build as expected.

The file is attached.

Screenshot 2024-08-11 212255.png

Glenrock clone.zip

13 hours ago, GeneDavis said:

OK @Kbird1I'm back after some more fiddling and I am still unable to get this mess to close up.

Each cheek wall is a siding-6 OOB Chief wall built at the A (attic) level and designated roof-cuts-wall-at-bottom.  Each sits atop interior-4 OOB Chief walls below on the second floor level 2.

The roof hole sides come in via the program to cut under the walls.  If you go in the dormer room inside you can select these walls to see how they fit to the scheme of walls, the interior lower walls sitting under the cheeks.

As is seen in 3D, the front ends of the cheek walls will not close with siding finish and I am befuddled as to why this won't build as expected.

The file is attached.

Screenshot 2024-08-11 212255.png

Glenrock clone.zip 2.66 MB · 19 downloads

Sorry Gene wasn't here yest. but it appears to me from the Pic you have let the Roof planes cut into the walls again and not notched the Roof Planes around the walls.

the wall on the Left it now occurs to me does not need Roof cuts walls set as you want it down to the Floor , I am not sure about the right hand side though?

1 minute ago, tundra_dweller said:

Sorry Mick, I didn't notice that Gene had tagged you in his last post. I was just looking for a puzzle to help clear the monday morning brain fog.

Oh no problem at all Brett, I was the only one around on Sat. ( working ;)  ) is all, the more the merrier especially with quirkiness like this...... sometimes Dormer go easy, sometimes not for seemingly no reason. The Pic above appears to be the same problem in the 1st post though.

Mick.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, tundra_dweller said:

Seems like I always run into these same type of dormer problems Gene is having, especially with mixed wall types & room definitions.

If there is a one method that works in all situations, I haven't found it either but hey I've only been playing with Chief for 15 yrs or so :)  still learning.....

M.

• Like 1