Butting up a new structure next to an existing one

reedie2000

There's a guy with a small backyard ADU with a gable roof who wants to add on. I don't think he has the skills or the money to frame a new complex/intersecting roof, so thinking about just butting up another taller structure up against the existing one (removing the siding but keeping the roof except for the right eave).

First photo shows the existing ADU, second photo is an example of the new combined ADU. Normally, I'd take down a wall and integrate the two better. Is butting them up doable? Dumb?

The second issue is if the two are butted up against each other, I'd like to show the existing wall and the new wall next to each other, but independent. I've gone through all the videos on double walls and marriage walls but whenever I move the two walls up against each other, one always disappears. Does Chief make you build a double stud wall as a single wall type or what?

74405077345__3F8E5120-FB59-4C28-A733-2DC2B1D15B7E.jpeg

IMG_0079.jpg

Screen Shot 2024-08-03 at 8.55.44 AM.png

First, why do you need the wall doubled?  Most additions are 3 walls plus a pre-existing shared wall.  Foundation is dug under the 3 new walls and the existing foundation is relied upon for the shared wall.  What is the doubled wall bearing on?  Why not just use a ledger header bolted to the top of existing wall on the new side?

Second, placing a 1" gap between the double walls allows them to coexist.  This is how I show finished areas in basements without building a new wall type.

Third, why not just  build the new wall layer?  Here's a 1 hour fire wall example we use in duplexes. 

image.thumb.png.c90b439c20d21c3542dc309e5f5bb9d5.png

Make a copy of your interior wall type then in the dbx copy the framing inside the main layer and place a 1" air gap between the framing.  Alternate your studs to reduce sound transmission. 

The second issue is if the two are butted up against each other, I'd like to show the existing wall and the new wall next to each other, but independent. I've gone through all the videos on double walls and marriage walls but whenever I move the two walls up against each other, one always disappears. Does Chief make you build a double stud wall as a single wall type or what?

You should just be able to move one wall so it bumps up against the other and the program should keep both.  The only time that I know of that the program removes a wall is when you draw or drag one on top of the other.  The program will usually replace the existing wall with the new one in this case.  Not sure if you are doing something wrong or if you found a program bug.  If you post your plan and let us know what you are doing, someone might be able to figure out what is going on.

image.thumb.png.1f0fd360d4f286aa913ad21b7c632479.png

2 hours ago, DBCooper said:

You should just be able to move one wall so it bumps up against the other and the program should keep both.  The only time that I know of that the program removes a wall is when you draw or drag one on top of the other.  The program will usually replace the existing wall with the new one in this case.  Not sure if you are doing something wrong or if you found a program bug.  If you post your plan and let us know what you are doing, someone might be able to figure out what is going on.

I agree, as long as there is no overlap the 2nd wall should not remove the existing wall, it should just butt up against the existing wall, however I think  Jon is also correct in thatI am not sure you need that 2nd wall ?

Personally, if the budget is there, I'd remove the gable roof over the brown ADU and extend the Roof from the Blue Building on the Right, over it as well, making it all look more unified.

M.

All good advice guys. Much appreciated. 

1. The guy wants a flat roof now. I'm concerned that ledger board wouldn't necessarily support one.

2. The building next door is an unconditioned garage. Not sure about the air and moisture sealing details.

3. I was able to get a non-locate wall up against the other wall, but still don't understand why I can't butt two actual walls up against each other. The program determines that the second wall should automatically replace the first when they get an inch or two within each other.

3 minutes ago, reedie2000 said:

The program determines that the second wall should automatically replace the first when they get an inch or two within each other.

It's always suggested here to post the plan if you can to get better help, otherwise it is a bit of a guessing game, not sure what version you are on either but perhaps you need to update your Forum Sig. too, as personally I don't have X12 or X14 installed any longer.

M.

"The guy wants a flat roof now . . . "

Sounds like a guy who has no idea of how to build, has to build this himself because he has no money, and the idea of roof framing is as alien as mandarin chinese.

Sometime you gotta say hey, I'm outa here.