Need Advice on Framing

pinkerton

Hi all - Newbie here.  I'm building a house and this is my first of many questions, please help if you can

My architect did not provide any direction regarding materials required for framing (I did not pay for that option).

My materials supplier has quoted a steel beam in the 2nd floor joist package, which seems appropriate since it's a 3 story duplex with a relatively long span (plans attached as well as 2nd floor joist schedule paste below)

As information, there is a block stemwall foundation around the perimeter and bisecting the duplex (with fill every 4ft)

My question is how to frame in the beam.  My plan is as follows, please comment/suggest your ideas or confirmation.

Starting from the block stemwall working upward (sorry I do not have a drawing):

1. Core fill the block with concrete and rebar to ensure this "high load" point has maximum structure (not sure if this is necessary, please comment)
  2. Sill plate as normal
  3. Adjustable beam post
  4. Double top plate as normal
  5. W12 beam as spec'd by Tri-State Forest Products
  6. Drill and anchor to top plate
  7. Stack 2x6's horizontally to fill gap between top of beam and bottom plate of 2nd floor wall (I'm unsure of how this is normally done)
  8. Bottom plate of 2nd floor
  9. 4 vertical studs sandwiched and centered above beam in 2nd floor wall (I'm unsure of how this is normally done - maybe I need 5?)

Thanks in advance for any comment/advice!!

image.thumb.png.a176a77b68da2e3131106b2002bbcca6.png

24011 CHURCH STREET CDS 022624.pdf

WTAF. Your architect failed you. Leaving the structural design up to the client or the lumber yard on a 3 story building borders on criminal. I thought I had enough things to be angry about but this is now going to steal all the bandwidth for the next 10 minutes. 

Hire a structural engineer. Full stop.

(back to gender identity and boxing)

• Upvote 2

if the lumber yard does not tell you connection details, hire structural engineer. Last one I did was steel beam to steel column, joists on top. No wood involved. Structural engineer did the post and beam specs as he was the one that suggested it instead of 4 ply LVL

Yours sounds like a flush steel beam of sorts