Construction Lines Not Really Useful

KristjanM

I do like to use construction lines to locate important junctions. The snapping behavior in Chief doesn't seem to help. If I move a wall to align with a construction line, the wall snaps to the outside layer of the wall. I cannot make the wall's main layer align with the construction line which is what I want. Am I missing something here?

I can't say I've ever moved walls to Const Lines, I've always drawn the walls over the lines so I've never experienced this. Certainly seems it should snap/bump off the line the handle is on. I'd report this as a bug to Support.

In the meantime, Point to Point Move should help move the walls onto those lines.

37 minutes ago, KristjanM said:

Am I missing something here?

No you're not. That's how the construction lines work, although I agree with you. The behavior for objects to bump up against construction lines should be different for walls. It seems logical that we'd want the walls to snap to construction lines using the exterior of the walls' main layer.

Because construction lines aren't a requirement for home plans, I only use them in large and complex projects where they will provide an obvious benefit to myself and those using the plans. Where I do find construction lines helpful is as reference lines to locate a foundation step (for example) in plan and elevation / section view. I usually have them on a reference layer that only displays in my working views and not my final plans.

don't listen to these know-it-alls :D
Go to Edit/Default Settings/Walls/General Wall/ and change the option resize about to main layer outside. then turn off bumps (f11) and simply select your wall and drag to the construction line

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

Go to Edit/Default Settings/Walls/General Wall/ and change the option resize about to main layer outside.

This is optionally necessary; Main Layer Outside is the default so if you've never messed with that setting then you're good.

7 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

then turn off bumps (f11)

This hasn't been a default Hotkey in quite some time.

But, yes, Edit>Snap Settings> Bumping and Pushing, then it should snap as desired.

AND if you find yourself needing to toggle it often, Tools> Toolbars and Hotkeys> Customize Hotkeys and set it to something like F11.

10 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

don't listen to these know-it-alls :D

you're one to talk ;)

Yes, point to point absolutely works. Thanks.

Walls are already set to outside main layer. With bump on, wall snaps to outside of wall, not outside of main layer. With bump off, wall doesn't snap at all. 

Looks like point to point wins for the moment.

PS. While construction lines aren't a usual thing in residential drawings, I find them useful (I come from a commercial construction background) and the engineer likes them.

11 minutes ago, KristjanM said:

With bump off, wall doesn't snap at all. 

Well that doesn't sound right.

You left Object Snaps on but just turned Bumping off?

image.thumb.png.5d16d22fb9f55f4a1d1b3cd16ebb0261.png

Make sure "On Object" is checked.

Just tried it both ways, object snaps on and off. Wall doesn't snap either way. Curious.

Well, the wall does snap but it is very finicky. Works about one in five times. Changed my pixel snap distance to 30 and now the snap shows up. I had it set at 10 which was obviously set too low. My issue is solved I think. Thanks to all for your help.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Renerabbitt said:

then turn off bumps (f11)

Yes, one could develop the habit of hitting F11 for a very quick switch to alter this behavior. Good reminder!

I find the construction lines helpful in defining load paths. The reviewers seem to appreciate them also.  The engineers have a better point of references also.  Clients can use them as a way to let me know where to look.