Cross Section Not Fully Showing 3D Objects

Astrigal

Not sure why this is happening, but when I place a 3D object on the plan and Back Clip a cross section I get only partially constructed lines showing in the section view.

Any ideas?

image.thumb.png.3b1c75adeb5560b28ac7fe3f7dcd5c1b.png

I just tried a simple case and it worked fine for me.  Could be something silly like your objects are too far from the origin or your edges are on off angles.  Try posting your plan and someone can look into it.

7 hours ago, Astrigal said:

Not sure why this is happening, but when I place a 3D object on the plan and Back Clip a cross section I get only partially constructed lines showing in the section view.

Any ideas?

image.thumb.png.3b1c75adeb5560b28ac7fe3f7dcd5c1b.png

This can / will happen if the Object has been turned into a Symbol already ?  rather than leaving the Object as a 3D Solid.

M.

@Kbird1 yes, I made these objects into symbols.  Does CA treat symbols differently than 3D solids?  I guess so... and wonder why.  Can I turn the symbol back into a 3D object then?

@DBCooper I did this experiment from a new plan with no other objects but those, just to see. 

@MPDesign It does seem to work if you extend the view past the objects... but then, when I have it included in the rest of the plan I don't want to extend the view in order to make other things work out....

11 hours ago, Astrigal said:

@Kbird1 yes, I made these objects into symbols.  Does CA treat symbols differently than 3D solids?  I guess so... and wonder why.  Can I turn the symbol back into a 3D object then?

I thought you may have, all views in Chief are really 3D Cameras, and symbols are only a group of 1 pixel thick "Faces" not Fully solid, which tend not to show well in cross sections.

To make the 3D Views look like 2D, such as in Cross sections Chief adds Cross Section Lines to the Edges of Objects, they are put on their own Layer and that layer is one of Chief's Layers that is locked by Default. Chief does not ( can't?) do this for Symbols which is the difference I believe.

M.

@Kbird1Interesting for sure... but does that mean I can or cannot turn the symbol back into a 3D solid... or, and, are you suggesting this Layer the symbol is stored on can somehow affect it's look in section view... and that its state can be changed to make the view better?

29 minutes ago, Astrigal said:

@Kbird1Interesting for sure... but does that mean I can or cannot turn the symbol back into a 3D solid... or, and, are you suggesting this Layer the symbol is stored on can somehow affect it's look in section view... and that its state can be changed to make the view better?

The symbol is not on that "special layer"  only Chief's Cross Section Lines, it adds to the Edges of all Objects.

You can't turn a Symbol back into into 3D Solids, Generally you would block the 3D Solids into an Arch. Block and Save it to the User Library and drop it into each plan, and them explode the Block and adjust sizes if needed.

M.