Best way to make cross sections look accurate?

Astrigal

I am a bit new to CA (x15) and am finding that I seem pretty comfortable with most aspects of the program except cross sections.

Coming from 2D drafting I can make the cross sections look exactly like the way they are constructed, along with the best way to delineate that for clarity (at 1/4 scale).

After creating a plan in CA, when I cut a cross section (back clipped) I am finding CA does not show intersections of floors and walls and roofs that well. At least as far as I can figure at this time in my learning. 

I am wondering what steps any of you use to get the most accurate looking cross sections so that it doesn't require much extra enlarged details and manual cleanup and the like.

Do I need to build framing?  Use the Add extra detail button?  Be more careful about which layers show and don't show?  Or....?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Astrigal said:

I am a bit new to CA (x15) and am finding that I seem pretty comfortable with most aspects of the program except cross sections.

Coming from 2D drafting I can make the cross sections look exactly like the way they are constructed, along with the best way to delineate that for clarity (at 1/4 scale).

After creating a plan in CA, when I cut a cross section (back clipped) I am finding CA does not show intersections of floors and walls and roofs that well. At least as far as I can figure at this time in my learning. 

I am wondering what steps any of you use to get the most accurate looking cross sections so that it doesn't require much extra enlarged details and manual cleanup and the like.

Do I need to build framing?  Use the Add extra detail button?  Be more careful about which layers show and don't show?  Or....?

Thanks!

This might be worth a one-on-one conversation with a consultant. I only use live section views with minimal additions of cad items for section views. This suggests to me that you would probable benefit by sharing your files with an expert and discussing solutions to those issues. It could be as simple as layer management, or more complex relating to the actual model.

Feel free to send me a PM if you'd like to explore that. Alternatively, for the purpose of this forum, it would be best if you post your plan or at least good images of your sections views with very clear descriptions of what you don't like and the kind of improvements you'd like to see.

As Robert says.

Maybe post a typical plan with cross sections and describe what is not working for you and what you would like to see.

Someone here will give you some suggestion if you can be more specific.

• Upvote 1